Will's Tree Challenge: Question #2

Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the spirit put forth in the first question thread...

For those of you reading this for the first time, don't scroll down and read the answers given, instead reply first and see if you were correct, before confirming it.

Question #2

What native American tree is named "Tree of Life" and how did it acquire this name?

Hints:

This species is claimed to have been used 368 different ways by Native Americans.

Its branches were used as what was most likely the first lightning rods.

The answer will be posted in a couple of days.

Have fun,

Will

Question #1
Question #2
Question #3
Question #4
Question #5
Question #6
Question #7
Question#8

Last edited:

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I'll take spruce tree for $1000 Alex! :)

Not sure what species, but I read this somewhere that some of the Native American Indians regarded the spruce as the Tree of life.....

Jason

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Will, for the sake of sanity. When you refer "Native Americans" which is a broad a diverse group. Are you referring to all Native Americans use of this tree?

I thought I'd have an advantage here as Taylor is doing a school report on Native Americans. However much to my dismay during our conversation over dinner on this subject, I found my daughter making arguments that bring up my original question.

All I got to say is I'm glad I'm not on the TV show are you smarter than a 5th grader

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Tom, I was being vauge on purpose, as I believed naming the tribes would have marked too wide of a trail to follow. Knowing the tribes could mark the region, thus narrowing down the possibilities dramatically. But if it helps, I am referring to 12 or 15 individual tribes who lived in what we now call America.

Will

Last edited:

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll take a stab and say the willow tree. I know the bark or the inside of the bark was used for treating head ache. When the wife of a Brave would say "not tonight honey, I have a head ache", some willow bark would be fetched.......... head ache gone..........snuggle time.........."Tree of Life"!!!

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
The tree of Life is the Yew and the Willow, not just one tree was called the tree of life.
Both for their Medicinal qualities.
Irene

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hint time.

Irene, although you may be correct in stating many trees were called the tree of life, only one species was named the tree of life.

Reading the questions carefully will help answer them.

Good luck,

Will

pslguy1983

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
pslguy1983

ok, if there was only ONE tree of life, it wasn't in this country.
it also was some kind of fruit tree. hence the A & E story. they got kicked out of the garden.
and I have no idea what kind of fruit tree it was.
I wonder if it was a mango they get pretty tall. climbable. fiber & liquid and sweetness.
sustainable.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, Thuja's botanical name "Arborvitae" is Latin for 'tree of life', so maybe you're refering to the Cypress family.

Barry beat me to it. Arborvitae would be my guess - aka the tree that I would least likely recommend to anyone for bonsai, but happens to be on every beginner's bench :)

candyjshirey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What native American tree is named "Tree of Life" and how did it acquire this name?

Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata): Native Americans thought that by touching the tree, the spiritual power of the red cedar could be transferred to those that honored the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Western Red Cedar, Giant Arborvitae (Thuja plicata)

This tree was named Arborvitae (Tree of Life) by the European settlers because it saved Jacques Cartier's men from death by scurvy after the native Americans showed them how to use the leaves and bark, which contain a high amount of vitamin C. Later, all cedars were call Arborvitae for the same reason.

These trees were used to make canoes, houses, baskets, clothing, medicine, and even food. Daniel Moerman in his book "Native American Ethnobotany" gives 368 uses of this species by Native Americans. Lewis and Clark were so impressed with the hats the Clatsop Indians made with the bark of this tree and grass that they bartered for two custom made hats for themselves.

One of the early creation myths was about mythical Thunderbirds that caused thunder and lightning, who were thought to nest in these great trees. Boughs from these trees were attached to tipi poles in order to ward off lightning.

The most recognized and unforgettable use of the Western Red Cedars were the totem poles made by the Haida. Today, sadly, they are used mostly for decks and fences.

Some of the many tribes that used this tree were the Haida, Nuxalk, Nez Perce, Southern Kwakiutl, Salish, Kwakwaka'wakw, Tsimshian, Tlingit, Pawnee, Oweekeno, Thompson, Haisla, Clatsop, and Lummi.

Candy was also correct about touching the tree to gain the spirit of them.

Sources:

Natives On-line www.nativeonline.com
Native American Ethnobotany - Moerman
The North American Sylva - Francois Andre Milhaux
Holocene History of Cedar and Native Indian Cultures of the North American Pacific Coast - Rolf W. Mattews and Richard J. Hebda

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Barry 1 point
Bnut 1 point
Candy 1 point (total of 2 to date)

Excellent!

Top Bottom