Wilted leaves on the Cherry Plum air layering

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hello everyone. In the spring, I made an air layer on the old wild Cherry Plum tree (6 inch in diameter). Everything was fine for 2 months.
10 days ago, I carefully opened the sphagnum cocoon and I saw white growths - the rudiments of roots; there are no roots yet.
But 3 days ago I noticed that the leaves have wilted, some have turned yellow. We have a severe drought, there has been no rain for 2 months.
I decided that the reason was the drought and watered the tree (40 liters). But the turgor of the leaves wasn't restored. Some of the leaves are already dry.
What should I do? Maybe it's worth cutting off the air layer and planting it in a greenhouse, maybe it will give roots from white growths?

Last edited:
The time to have watered was 1 or 2 days BEFORE you noticed wilting leaves. I know this seems an unhelpful comment, but you should have been aware of your local drought. A stressed tree will abandon sending resources to an air layer. The tree "reads" the signal from the air layer as a damaged portion of the tree. Under drought stress, the tree withdraws resources to its core, most healthy parts.

Air layering is NEVER a 100% successful endeavor. Even professionals seldom have success rates above 75%. They might claim 90%, and over short term, maybe that's true, but air layering is a risky procedure even under ideal conditions. Add drought stress and the chances of success plummet.

Give it another week. If it does not "perk up" consider it failed. Make a clean cut to remove the failed air layer. Look for a different location to try again. Remember, do not stress the source plant while trying to get the air layer to take. Keep the source tree well watered, and the media around the air layer moist.

It could end up getting on its own "brain" and pushing them roots.

🤞

Sorce

Seems it is already cut off from the parent tree's brain.

I feel it's hope now, is it realizing on its own, with stored trunk energy, it may have what it takes to push those roots and replenish it's water.

Sorce

Well, it is still attached to its parent and receives water from it, although it probably doesn't receive water anymore if the foliage begin to dry.

My prunus mume did the same, but it did produce roots!
Both the parent and the separated layer have flowered this spring but never leafed out again. I don't expect them to make it, but they're both still alive and haven't dropped a single branch.
All I can do now is wait. So that's what I'm doing.

I have a big burning bush airlayer that started wilting, most probably because of lack of water. A while after watering the parent tree, it started back budding below and above the airlayer. I don't really expect many roots this year because I started it quite late, but it seems to recover. The wilted leaves are not turning green again, so I guess yours won't either.

A while after watering the parent tree, it started back budding below and above the airlayer.
Maybe it's worth removing dead leaves to allow back budding? The leaves are almost dry and will not recover.
But it hasn't roots yet, only white callus. Maybe back budding won't work then.

Last edited:
I can't say if removing the wilted leaves is good or wrong. I didn't touch them at all

Back
Top Bottom