Wilting bald cypress ... able to save it?

bendem

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi folks -

Bonsai newbie here. Last week we had some hot days, and on one of them I neglected my trees (my daughter was graduating high school, had company in town, yadda yadda ... I'm a bad plant dad).

Most of my trees -- including 35+ bald cypress saplings -- held up fine. But a couple that I have potted together looked extra thirsty, so I moved them to the shade and put them in a shallow tub of water filled halfway up the pot for a day or so. Seemed like they were bouncing back, but one of them took a major turn for the worse this a.m.

You'll see some pictures attached, including one where I did a scratch test about halfway up the trunk (it's green).

Question: Do you think the struggling tree can be saved? If so, is there anything special I should do for the tree?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220620_114318.jpg
    20220620_114318.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220620_113708.jpg
    20220620_113708.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220620_113653.jpg
    20220620_113653.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 15

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That sounds like you're a good person though.
As long ad they're watered now, the best thing you can do is watch the progression and wait.

There is no magic cure for drought damage other than time.

Fwiw: a scratch test will work a month or so after the fact. Even dead plants can stay green inside for a couple weeks, or in the case of my mume: 2 years. Scratching too soon is like opening stitches to see if a wound has healed; yes it will tell you that in fact there is something alive, but it's not really giving you more information than that. Apply this technique when the tree is telling you it's dead and you want to be sure you're not thrashing something that might recover.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They look mostly alive to me. A little TLC and they will be fine. Just don't drown them. Keep the soil moist but not not flooded!

Top Bottom