Win my second book with your best idea…

Reaction score
Attila..Dorothy's idea is great, but you still have chance to give better idea...

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Attila..Dorothy's idea is great, but you still have chance to give better idea...

Yes!! A bonsai can always be improved, especially with photoshop..:D

Attachments

• robert+Premna+impr.jpg
    robert+Premna+impr.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 62
  • robert+Premna+fullb.jpg
    robert+Premna+fullb.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 70

sammiboii

Sapling
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair that Dorothy can compete in this :) That chick is amazing. Her virtuals are by far some of the best I've seen. I'll see if I can fake something up. I'd love to have a shot at that book.

Amazing material Robert. It would be welcome on my bench....ANYTIME.
Have a great week everyone
Sam

Reaction score
Still 2 weeks to go... In my mind, there should be more movement with more dynamic composition...:D

sammiboii

Sapling
Reaction score
Here's my try at this. I don't have Photoshop so this was all done using MS Paint.

22.JPG

Reaction score
Now..time to announce the winner whose idea the most closest to mine.

The winner is : Dorothy Smith....
Dorothy, could you please send email to me robertbonsai@hotmail.com with your full address and tel. no so I can send you the book.

On top of that, thanks you all to have sent your ideas..all are very nice...Congratulation !

Here is my idea..I will train the top branch to be thicker and longer as well as the lower branch. But I will turn the lower left small branch into deadwood....

_MG_9948-A.jpg

sammiboii

Sapling
Reaction score
Whooohoooo Congratulations Dorothy!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Robert, this is amazing material that I'm sure will look even more amazing in time.

Have a great week everyone!!!
Sam

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
sam
Pre Bonsai

and the winner is !!!!!

dorothy.

best wishes, sam

see !! I told you. good job dorothy,

best wishes, sam

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats Dorothy.

Now IMO....

If that dead piece of wood was gone....he would really have something.

I see no benifit in the piece of deadwood. I feel the dead wood looks ameturish. Something a newbie would do trying to use everything on their new piece of stock.

Like I said...my opinion.

al

Attachments

• dead snag gone.jpg
    dead snag gone.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 66

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Now..time to announce the winner whose idea the most closest to mine.

The winner is : Dorothy Smith....
Dorothy, could you please send email to me robertbonsai@hotmail.com with your full address and tel. no so I can send you the book.

On top of that, thanks you all to have sent your ideas..all are very nice...Congratulation !

Here is my idea..I will train the top branch to be thicker and longer as well as the lower branch. But I will turn the lower left small branch into deadwood....

View attachment 17549

Robert,

thank you for the award. If you don't mind I'd like to pass your book to the runner up of your choice. I already won your book in another contest, it was KoB I believe, that windswept tree. :)

Now, if you were to offer another contest at another time and awarded one of your (signed)drawings..that would be very nice!:D

Again, thank you very much,

dorothy

Reaction score
Thanks so much Dorothy, you are so generous. I am trying to see again the other posting, but I cannot open the picture posted by Sammiboii...anyone can help ?

Smoke, looking from the picture (2-D), you are right, the deadwwod in front indeed looks disturbing, in reality, it helps to fill the empty gap in front due to the root base formation. That's the reason why I keep it for the visual balance reason. Thanks...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks so much Dorothy, you are so generous. I am trying to see again the other posting, but I cannot open the picture posted by Sammiboii...anyone can help ?

Smoke, looking from the picture (2-D), you are right, the deadwwod in front indeed looks disturbing, in reality, it helps to fill the empty gap in front due to the root base formation. That's the reason why I keep it for the visual balance reason. Thanks...

Thanks Robert, I didn't mess with the root base or any other thing except remove the dead skinny stick sticking out of the canopy like a bent flagpole....

Reaction score
Ops.. I still cannot open the link..(Moderator..can you help ?) or can you send the image to my email : robertbonsai@hotmail.com I need to see it again before deciding the winner...

Smoke, now I see your point, that's great as well; but it's simply about preference. Thanks ! :cool:

Reaction score
OK..I got it now. My second choice is Sammiboii...Congratulation ! And thanks again to Dorothy.

The only thing Sammiboii missing is to answer the question where my second book "Mission of Transformation" can be ordered...:p

Please also send email to me robertbonsai@hotmail.com with your full address and tel. no so I can send you the book.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, now I see your point, that's great as well; but it's simply about preference. Thanks ! :cool:

All too often on forums like these, great oppotunities to learn are missed. It becomes even more crucial when it involves those that are considered professionals by the community. Walter Pall has on occassion offered opinions on why things in bonsai are viewed this way or that.

I might like to take this time now and ask for your feelings about the word "preference" and ask about this in the context of training, culture, surroundings? Obviously you think the tree will look better in your opinion with the long bent stick out of the canopy and I prefer it more "groomed". I know why I like it better, what I would like to know is why you like it better the other way. Maybe we can all learn a little something here.

sammiboii

Sapling
Reaction score
THANK YOU Robert. I just sent the email with my information.

Have a great weekend
Sam

Reaction score
All too often on forums like these, great oppotunities to learn are missed. It becomes even more crucial when it involves those that are considered professionals by the community. Walter Pall has on occassion offered opinions on why things in bonsai are viewed this way or that.

You might be right, sometimes too much courtesy comments or too much argument on nothing on such forum. BTW, I have been doing critique session on different forums and you will find what you expect at : www.bonsaibark.com

I might like to take this time now and ask for your feelings about the word "preference" and ask about this in the context of training, culture, surroundings? Obviously you think the tree will look better in your opinion with the long bent stick out of the canopy and I prefer it more "groomed". I know why I like it better, what I would like to know is why you like it better the other way. Maybe we can all learn a little something here.

My approach to bonsai art is artistic concept and horticultural clue. I apply the aesthetic principles of visual art, the plant physiology and plant morphology in nature into my bonsai design or when I am doing a critique; and I don't use the right or wrong convention tools to judge the beauty of a bonsai.

In the case of the two bonsai you and me like better, I never said mine looked better, that's why I used the word "preference" because I like mine by both subjective and objective means and I don't have argument to second-like yours in objective point of view. The one you like is simply beautiful in artistic sense and logical in horticultural sense; and I like mine with the same reason, but they are different in pose, different in mimic and they are conveying different life chronicles because of the with and without the deadwood.

There are always different design options from the same material. Different viewing angles, different position will suggest different pose with different mimic. Sometimes certain simple feature can play important role to suggest different character or message..like the deadwood on this bonsai.

I like it because it give an accentuation to the design, it emphasizes the dynamic and casual character, it adds a story to the tree. It's the deadwood make this bonsai unique and unusual, a little bit naughty, yet logical. Without the deadwood, it's simply beautiful, calm, charming, elegant.. It's a matter of choice.

I like beard with long hair, but maybe I will look the same cool with bold head..:p
The way I pose for my pictures will certainly different from how you pose yourself, and it related to our characters. The same in bonsai, the styles are all about poses, and those poses are all about design composition.
In bonsai, when the artistic and technical aspects are well considered in the design, the rest is the preference..and preference in art suppose to related to the character of the artist, otherwise, he is simply a craftman...

Smoke, I hope this answer to your question, although I am not very sure of what you mean by "... in the context of training, culture, surroundings..." Thanks !

Top Bottom