Wind-Blown Chinese Elm Opinion Needed

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I recently reported my wind-blown Chinese elm in a Myrick pot. Need opinion whether to remove the left branches, one or two? My tentative thought is to remove the top left and bend the bottom left branch more to the right.
IMG_7176_edited-1.jpgIMG_7176_edited-1 branch white out_edited-1.jpgIMG_7176_edited-1 two branch white out_edited-3.jpg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't remove both. I think that makes the tree look too one-dimensional.
If you take out the top one, then I would wire the lower one so that it echoes the movement of the trunk for a while, then the secondary branches can move to the right.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Keep the bottom left branch. It makes the tree more dynamic. If you remove it, your eye only want to move to the right.
Also, I would shorten the top like your last picture, if that's photoshopped. You might even shorten it a little more.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't remove both. I think that makes the tree look too one-dimensional.
If you take out the top one, then I would wire the lower one so that it echoes the movement of the trunk for a while, then the secondary branches can move to the right.
Thanks Tom, that would be my preference, bring the left branch up and the finer twigs go in the wind swept direction.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All that is good....spot on....

But just recently....
I just noticed how the pot has this going on.....

View attachment 159333
View attachment 159334

Is that intentional?

I like it!

Sorce

I fell in love with that old pot!
I was hoping this wasnt the one....but alas, there aren't that many high quality windswept trees out there!
IMG_9386.JPG

This new pot says "water", water that is not moving with the tree as this one does so nicely.

Sorce

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
All that is good....spot on....

But just recently....

I fell in love with that old pot!
I was hoping this wasnt the one....but alas, there aren't that many high quality windswept trees out there!
View attachment 176460

This new pot says "water", water that is not moving with the tree as this one does so nicely.

Sorce
I am getting chips in the old pot from the cracked glaze. What sort of new pot do you suggest, Sorce? I think this pot is too tall for the tree. A brown irregular shape and more rugged looking "kurama" pot like the one in the attached photo would be nice.
img58254582.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
am getting chips in the old pot from the cracked glaze.

Perfect!

We get chips in buildings cuz of weather and wind here!

@thams amd I were recently speaking about the "American" Bonsai pot aesthetic...

What is it?

Broken pots in appropriate circumstances....

Works for me.

Tend the pot gentle as the tree!

I do like the slab though.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Matter of fact....

Collect the bits of pot and strew them out in the "wind" trailing to the accent.

Play it up.

I love that pot and tree combo!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even those branches were not a problem before!
(Oooo, because I love this tree and pot so, and my fire of "prevention" today)

2018-02-03-18-52-22.jpg

So many "wind blown" thirds at work in this image....

Even the tree which seems centered...
Has been blown at the base....just a bit...actually, to the same % of its strength as the base.

I think it is solely due to the very strong wind blown emotion the old pairing gives...

But it is so strong to me, the new pot seems "forced", as if the wind I know blows would have this tree at the OTHER end of the pot!

Of course this for a against the @MichaelS teaching that I love, to look at each tree individually, which I added to @Craigm "even the same tree as it was minutes before"...

But as always....it depends...

And this is one....

Where a kind walk back to what was....

Will breath life back into this image!

With a FAT dreaded IMO!

Sorce

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Even those branches were not a problem before!
(Oooo, because I love this tree and pot so, and my fire of "prevention" today)

View attachment 176492

So many "wind blown" thirds at work in this image....

Even the tree which seems centered...
Has been blown at the base....just a bit...actually, to the same % of its strength as the base.

I think it is solely due to the very strong wind blown emotion the old pairing gives...

But it is so strong to me, the new pot seems "forced", as if the wind I know blows would have this tree at the OTHER end of the pot!

Of course this for a against the @MichaelS teaching that I love, to look at each tree individually, which I added to @Craigm "even the same tree as it was minutes before"...

But as always....it depends...

And this is one....

Where a kind walk back to what was....

Will breath life back into this image!

With a FAT dreaded IMO!

Sorce

Hi Sorce ,
Could you explain the “thirds” concept some more please. I seem to have skipped that lesson :p
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Sorce ,
Could you explain the “thirds” concept some more please. I seem to have skipped that lesson :p
Charles

Most appropriate is just a bit off of exact thirds...but thirds is the best rule for visually pleasing without much thought.

When in doubt....thirds!

GoldenSpiral_1000.gif

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess it matters this...

The orange has the trunk on 1/3 which grabs you proper...

But the subtle things that keep you viewing..

The force of the wind that blew the "leaves" to the right 2/3 of the pot(blue), and then in that right 2/3 of the pot, the trunk emerges at 1/3(yellow)2018-02-03-18-52-22.jpg

All this stuff just adds up to perfection.
ALL that stuff is what made the wind BLOW!

Forgive my Bonsai Love drunkedness!

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Left branch adds interest and dimensionality to tree;).

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

The force of the wind that blew the "leaves" to the right 2/3 of the pot(blue), and then in that right 2/3 of the pot, the trunk emerges at 1/3(yellow)View attachment 176574

Sorce
Yikes! Scary when you make sense. I understood your thirds discussion. Well illustrated. I like the real life feeling the tree portrays....and those branches on the left contribute.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. This is what I intend to do with this elm. Remove one short left branch and wire up the other like in the mock up photo; and cut back the top branches. It is interesting to see the front cover in one issue of the Economists magazine illustrated a wind-blown tree with branches going upwards on the windward side My bonsai reference book also taught this is how branches on the wind side are treated, going upwards. On the blown side, lowest branches are almost parallel to the ground, as we go higher the angle of the branches tilt upwards.
IMG_7176_edited-1 two branch white out_edited-3_LI (2).jpg
windswept economy.jpg

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score

The force of the wind that blew the "leaves" to the right 2/3 of the pot(blue), and then in that right 2/3 of the pot, the trunk emerges at 1/3(yellow)View attachment 176574

Sorce
Sorce, thanks for your analysis of the planting positions. In this repot, I intend it to look like a lone survivor in a vast expanse of flat land with high wind. My envision is to plant it in a shallow, rugged-looking, long and narrow pot with the tree on one side and leave a lot of negative space to create that feeling.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad I scrolled up cuz that Tiger picture is awesome!

Looking at that pot again, the side walls may be "stopping the wind".

long and narrow pot with the tree on one side and leave a

Sounds great.

Hmmmmmmm!

Sorce

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Really nice looking tree. I wish we saw more well done windswept. They are not (in fashion) but I am not sure if they ever really were.

Top Bottom