Wind Storm!

bowermmc

Seed
Reaction score
Well my 28 year old Shimpaku got caught in a violent Oklahoma windstorm. I had to slip pot it this morning. It is definitely not happy. The wind was so strong it picked up the bonsai and threw it across a sheltered porch. Since I was out of good soil, I have repotted it in cactus soil temporarily. What is the best soil to purchase in this situation???
Thanks!

bowermmc

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks! I’ve ordered some. When the soil arrives should I keep it slip potted with the new soil for a few months to a year to let the roots grow out? I’ve had this little tree for quite awhile and so I hope he makes it.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry about the knockdown! I’ve been in an Oklahoma windstorm before and it took my breath away. Yet my buddy said that’s just normal Oklahoma wind!

To answer your question…. same soil it was in if you aren’t doing a complete media change out. I’m not so sure changing out the media is a good idea to respond to this situation, unless it wasn’t happy before it got knocked down… too stressful. If it was in free draining bonsai soil already, cactus soil will work in a pinch for a juniper. Cactus soil is a blend of mainly inorganic materials such as sand, gravel, pumice, and/or perlite.

cheers
DSD sends

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks! I’ve ordered some. When the soil arrives should I keep it slip potted with the new soil for a few months to a year to let the roots grow out? I’ve had this little tree for quite awhile and so I hope he makes it.
I have junipers in potting soil that do just fine.
So I would wait until fall or next spring.

Just keep an eye on the soil moisture, don't leave it too wet. A wooden chopstick can be a great help.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry about your luck. I live in flat land part of Arkansas Surrounded by farm fields. Since its been warming up the wind has been picking up and had to tie mine down . There was one day recently I looked at my cameras on my house and noticed my juniper and a JBP sapling was gone . Well the wind blew them off the bench . Luckily for me I called a buddie and told him some of my trees were gone that I thought someone might of stole them because I couldn't see them to run to my house and look around and go in and look around. What really happen was then wind took my juniper across my big yard to the edge of the field and just blew the JBP off out of its nursery pot. So when I got home I mixed up soil and put the pine in a bigger pot and tied them all down. Luckily none of them got hurt!

Top Bottom