Windswept Azalea? Maybe

Mattlopez313

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I picked this guy up for 13 dollars from a nursery and fell in love with the trunk. Was going to hard chop it but decided to try and do something different. I left some potential trunks to see if I like where it goes or not. But here is the initial idea! Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 5B511CC6-47AF-4633-BCED-CA31A694D6B7.jpeg
    5B511CC6-47AF-4633-BCED-CA31A694D6B7.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 108

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Groovy!

I like this tree....

If you are going with a windswept option, I would recommend deciding, right now, what EXACT “style” of “windswept” you are either looking for, or attempting to emulate. As in accordance with adopting true, small-scale projections of those trees “responses” to certain, given environmental stimuli.

To “slice in up” more simply... there commonly exist TWO generalized ideas of “windswept-style” presentation. (With a handful of subcategories, pertaining to portraying unique situations, of course). One of them being a tree that lives the course of MOST of (at least) it’s growing season in high-wind conditions. (There are some EXCELLENT Robert Steven “examples”)
The other being trees which live there life, exposed to PERIODS of vicious winds. ( This, I believe is the most commonly utilized technique)

Subcategories for certain Mountainous regions, valley, coastal “Crags”... yadda-yadda-yadda.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
For instance....

This...
39501855-790A-4DA8-9D18-4BF1D082BCCA.jpeg
Is (Windswept)styled to somewhat Replicate trees growing in these conditions... loosely...
C80F09D2-7BA1-4DFA-B2A3-FEE12AE2A3B3.jpeg

Whereas THESE trees...71BF9177-7EB3-401F-B31E-36576FB842F4.jpeg are (Windswept)styled to represent THESE type of conditions (also loosely..art is in interpretation)
CD79853C-9345-4DD3-AEB8-B961DCE016F2.jpeg

I could’ve looked for more EXACT examples.. but the pictures I chose (NONE of these images or trees MINE) I did so because they represent literal translations to the “styling” that I wanted to convey... for you... and the kids at home.
(Same “Wind Sculpting-style”.... One just Coastal, one Mountainous)
🤣

Mattlopez313

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
For instance....

This...
View attachment 346058
Is (Windswept)styled to somewhat Replicate trees growing in these conditions... loosely...
View attachment 346060

Whereas THESE trees...View attachment 346059 are (Windswept)styled to represent THESE type of conditions (also loosely..art is in interpretation)
View attachment 346061

I could’ve looked for more EXACT examples.. but the pictures I chose (NONE of these images or trees MINE) I did so because they represent literal translations to the “styling” that I wanted to convey... for you... and the kids at home.
(Same “Wind Sculpting-style”.... One just Coastal, one Mountainous)
🤣
I like the idea of the second example! probably will lead down a rabbit hole of searching lol

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Azalea can be shaped as windswept.

I have a mediocre example in progress. First photo 2019, second photo today. Needs work, but you can see that azalea can be used to make a windswept. It is in a @sorce pot, one of Sorce's wide lip wonders.

Kegon -windswet- IMG_20190608_131155197 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

2020 - I have not cleaned up the autumn leaves yet. So the crispy is not "permanent".
Kegon 2 IMG_20201224_190024788.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great ideas folks! I like your examples @HorseloverFat!

Windswept is a more uncommon style for azalea, Non traditional, but there have been some awesome examples breaking out of the traditional mold. I’ll be really interested in seeing your azalea in a couple years @Leo in N E Illinois!

A couple thoughts.
1. What’s your near term care and styling plan?
2. Wondering if the azalea had a tag with the cultivars name?

Cheers
DSD sends

8A20BDE5-2948-4031-9E74-73219FF33CA2.jpeg Here’s a example... Windswept or just a start to a semi cascade?

Last edited:

Mattlopez313

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Great ideas folks! I like your examples @HorseloverFat!

Windswept is a more uncommon style for azalea, Non traditional, but there have been some awesome examples breaking out of the traditional mold. I’ll be really interested in seeing your azalea in a couple years @Leo in N E Illinois!

A couple thoughts.
1. What’s your near term care and styling plan?
2. Wondering if the azalea had a tag with the cultivars name?

Cheers
DSD sends

View attachment 346089 Here’s a example... Windswept or just a start to a semi cascade?

I do not know the cultivar. Unfortunately.
near term plan - water and watch for now.

I am hoping to get some more branches/opportunities to expand and elaborate on the overall design.

I was hoping to create a “wall” of flowers.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do not know the cultivar. Unfortunately.
near term plan - water and watch for now.

I am hoping to get some more branches/opportunities to expand and elaborate on the overall design.

I was hoping to create a “wall” of flowers.
All good @Mattlopez313.

Knowing the cultivar helps a bit on the horticultural side, especially for wintering over hardiness and styling. Kurumes are generally more hardy, most satsuki tend to have more pliable wood and shorter internodes. Other hybrids are all over the place. So if you are near the nursery a trip over to ask if they know the cultivar, might help a bit in those areas. Otherwise, when it flowers, some folks here like @Harunobu etc might be able to identify it.

What would help us in the future is if you could double click on your icon and enter your approximate location and USDA zone (google your zip). Providing this information will let us know how to advise you... and there may possibly be someone in your area that can chime in!

cheers
DSD sends

Mattlopez313

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
All good @Mattlopez313.

Knowing the cultivar helps a bit on the horticultural side, especially for wintering over hardiness and styling. Kurumes are generally more hardy, most satsuki tend to have more pliable wood and shorter internodes. Other hybrids are all over the place. So if you are near the nursery a trip over to ask if they know the cultivar, might help a bit in those areas. Otherwise, when it flowers, some folks here like @Harunobu etc might be able to identify it.

What would help us in the future is if you could double click on your icon and enter your approximate location and USDA zone (google your zip). Providing this information will let us know how to advise you... and there may possibly be someone in your area that can chime in!

cheers
DSD sends
I just updated my info! Also I’ll probably be back there within the next couple of weeks so I’ll keep this thread updated!

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It'd be cool to see the Literati full of flowers. It being an azalea you may have to let it fill in a bit more at the top to stay healthy. What do the flowers look like ?

Mattlopez313

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It'd be cool to see the Literati full of flowers. It being an azalea you may have to let it fill in a bit more at the top to stay healthy. What do the flowers look like ?
I completely agree @onlyrey ! This will be a long road ahead. And not sure it was a clearance special lol

Top Bottom