Windswept Bucida Spinosa

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After having my dwarf black olive for a little over a year now, I finally decided on giving it some direction towards the windswept style. Quick background about me for some of you that don't know me yet. I have only been into bonsai for 2 years, and I just recently joined the Brooklyn Bonsai Club. This is probably only my 5th time wiring a tree after watching the colin lewis wiring video roughly 20 times.

I am aware that this style is known to be for the more experienced bonsai artists, but since this species is known for growing well into this style, I figured why not give it a try. Hey... you gotta start somewhere right? I do plan on giving to more of an angle when I re-pot it. It's only been in this pot for a year, and since they don't grow roots so vigorously, I figured I'd leave it in there for another 2 years. Well here are some before and after pics of my young bucida spinosa.

Screenshot_2016-03-21-22-47-58-1.png Screenshot_2016-03-21-22-48-16-1.png WIN_20160321_230532.JPG WIN_20160321_230552.JPG WIN_20160321_230608.JPG

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
BK Bonsai, I like it. With some branch development/shaping over the next few years, I think it will make a fine windswept style tree.

I had one of these years ago that I did a cascade with. I have been meaning to get another. I believe this species prefers full sun.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of people are anti-windswept.

Its a challenge...nothing wrong with that!

If it's done right, you can see the wind.
Another prerequisite, trees found in such windy places....I'm pretty sure an olive could get that way.

The right branch, I would just let it run as a sacrifice and lose it in about 5-10 years.

Maybe grow the plant on its side so the new "windswept" growth grows straight up, it'll be easier to train.....and, that sacrifice can lay flat to the sun.

Nice feller! Good to see ya!

Sorce

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@sorce when you say grow the plant on its side, do you mean when I re-pot it, to give the main trunk more lean lower towards the left?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I forgot it was in a pot already....
Probly cuz I'd have it in a basket at this point....

But planted normal....

Just straight tipped over.aviary-image-1458652643997.jpeg

Sorce

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry bruh @sorce, kinda hard to visualize what you're saying. Basically to tilt the main trunk line towards the wind to make the top half look like its bending more? Kinda like this?
WindsweptJuniperBack.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
aviary-image-1458655452267.jpeg

You gotta keep your soil from fallen out.

But your tree will grow naturally in your windswept direction.

Too it back for display.....or when it is closer to finished.

And you can splay out your sacrifice to the sun.

Crazy....but works !

Sorce

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh I see what you're saying, Great idea, but not sure if it will do much for this species. The shoots naturally grow horizontally making it ideal for windwept. It doesn't really grow upwards unless forced trained to. @sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh I see what you're saying, Great idea, but not sure if it will do much for this species. The shoots naturally grow horizontally making it ideal for windwept. It doesn't really grow upwards unless forced trained to. @sorce

I thought it might!

All I know about Olives....is it you eat a couple tablespoons of its oil a day, some fish, and some pita, you'll live longer!

Sorce

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Lol, sounds like the food of my people (Greek). How about I shove a rock under the pot to put it at 45 degree angle instead of 90 degree, and we will see how that works?

Top Bottom