Windswept olive bonsai yay or nay?

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
Just playing around with how a windswept style would look on this olive. What does the community think? Yay or Nay and All feedback is appreciated

Attachments

• 20190811_030450.jpg
    20190811_030450.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 241

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is a nice small olive. I can't see many alternatives to windswept with what you have there.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmmm.....I don’t feel a windswept emotion in the leaves or branches. The leaves of this olive don’t convey a struggle with the wind...the leaves are perky and generally upright....no struggle there......just looks like the branches were bent sideways.
I’m a “Nay”. Just my opinion.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Nay from me. A good windswept style is almost as difficult to create as a good bunjin. Olives don't usually grow in windswept conditions and the style would always look contrived. It also appears to have pretty bad inverse taper. If it was mine I'd feed heavily for a couple years to get backbudding on that nice trunk and eventually style with those.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just playing around with how a windswept style would look on this olive. What does the community think? Yay or Nay and All feedback is appreciated
Nope, poor use of natural characteristics, Olives backbud readily. Choose a clip and grow style that suits the leaf structure. Perhaps just put it back in the ground for a couple of years to strengthen and create more options.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nay from me. A good windswept style is almost as difficult to create as a good bunjin.
Yes. Kathy Shaner always used the term "wind influenced" if anything for this reason. I agree with Paul's advice here.

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
I looked up olive windswept trees to see how they looked in nature before I wired it. After something looked off and its probably a number of things but one is the leaves sticking straight up as some suggested. Kind of a doh!!! Moment as I cant believe I didnt see this .This tree is frustrating because it's a cool little olive and I get a lot of compliments and positive reactions ( before the windswept try) but with the branch structure there is no clear cut style that sticks out to me at this time. It's hard to tell from one picture so I will add more. Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who says it needs to look like an olive.
This is the beauty of bonsai.
You could make it take the form of an oak.
Or maybe an elm.
As long as it looks like a tree in miniature fine.
I dont adhere to the whole if it's an olive tree it should look like a full grown one.
Or if it's an elm it ought look like an elm.
All of that is a bunch of crap.
Bonsai should look like an old tree that's struggled against nature and is winning.
Trees dont know they should look like each other.
Trees don't know jack.
Some of the coolest bonsai are those trident maples styled in the pine tree form as it's called. People say it doesn't look natural.
Natural is way overrated.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
All of that is a bunch of crap.
We will have to disagree on this. There are exceptions... boxwoods make great oak style for example but a pine tree style maple, no thanks! In my opinion bonsai should never be obviously contrived or cookie cutter shaped.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I looked up olive windswept trees to see how they looked in nature before I wired it. After something looked off and its probably a number of things but one is the leaves sticking straight up as some suggested. Kind of a doh!!! Moment as I cant believe I didnt see this .This tree is frustrating because it's a cool little olive and I get a lot of compliments and positive reactions ( before the windswept try) but with the branch structure there is no clear cut style that sticks out to me at this time. It's hard to tell from one picture so I will add more. Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.
Good opportunity to let I grow. You really don’t need to be in a hurry. A rugged few years of growing will improved your tree. And while it’s growing a new direction may just be pointed out to you by the tree. Ha! You’re only on your first date with the tree...get to know each other more.

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
Good opportunity to let I grow. You really don’t need to be in a hurry. A rugged few years of growing will improved your tree. And while it’s growing a new direction may just be pointed out to you by the tree. Ha! You’re only on your first date with the tree...get to know each other more.
After 8 months I was hoping to get further than first base!!! She isn't puttin out at all. All I'm getting from this olive is that I need to up my game... damn

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We will have to disagree on this. There are exceptions... boxwoods make great oak style for example but a pine tree style maple, no thanks! In my opinion bonsai should never be obviously contrived or cookie cutter shaped.
That's cool man.
No argument here.

Top Bottom