Windswept or Slant Style?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm always reluctant to try to categorize styles. We love to put things into definite pigeon holes but the reality is that many bonsai are neither fish nor fowl. It is Ok to have a tree that does not fit into the rigid style gategories provided it looks good.
From the angle shown I'd say that's more windswept because the lower trunk goes a little right before leaning over so not really leaning but the phot is not taken from the front of the pot. A small change of viewing angle can make a big change in what we see.

Colt Carson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm always reluctant to try to categorize styles. We love to put things into definite pigeon holes but the reality is that many bonsai are neither fish nor fowl. It is Ok to have a tree that does not fit into the rigid style gategories provided it looks good.
From the angle shown I'd say that's more windswept because the lower trunk goes a little right before leaning over so not really leaning but the phot is not taken from the front of the pot. A small change of viewing angle can make a big change in what we see.
Thank you, I appreciate the input. About 5-6 years ago I purchased this tree. After learning more about Bonsai, I realized the tree I purchased probably didn’t fall under one of the traditional Bonsai styles. About a year ago the dog on the leash went one way around the patio table, and my wife went the other way. The leash raked my Bonsai off the table, and it crashed to the concrete… pot broken. With no other Bonsai pot, I planted the tree in a tub on top of a ceramic tile. I thought maybe it would help thicken the trunk and root formation. Possibly due to some cold weather in the low 20s last winter, I had a lot of small branches on this tree die. So, unhappy with the lollipop shape of the tree, the dead branches and wanting to alter the appearance of the tree… I ordered a pot. I recently completed the pruning and repotting. My renewed interest in this tree brought me here. This is a pic of the tree from five years ago, used to show the main structure of the tree and my recent pruning. 06CA97C2-1DD8-4A75-9AFA-E94A1209516D.jpeg3DAEB1A0-65AA-4141-B234-59BFC202B3FE.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello fellow enthusiasts… I recently transformed this Trident Maple, which style would you say it’s closer to? View attachment 477347
I would visualize this tree as a tree with interesting character. Neither slanted or windswept. I see it as a tree that’s located near the exterior edge of a forest, or highly shaded area, and it’s simply reaching for a share of sunlight to survive. I cannot see what’s inside, or behind, the green canopy for branch direction. It could possibly look a bit windswept in overall form, however, I doubt the branches and leaves would carry a strong windswept feeling. It’s a natural tree growing out of what we want to force as balance. I think the tree has good characteristics developing like it now though….as an uncategorized tree.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the way that the new pot mimics the moss cover with that greenish tint right at and below the rim. It sort of brings the tree image down to earth. Nice combination for the composition.

And, interesting, are those the roots of the tree above the soil line on the right side?

Colt Carson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I like the way that the new pot mimics the moss cover with that greenish tint right at and below the rim. It sort of brings the tree image down to earth. Nice combination for the composition.

And, interesting, are those the roots of the tree above the soil line on the right side?
Yes, that is a root formation directly from the tree. I have never completely removed all soil from there, so I’m not sure of the exact structure. The tree was already in progress when I purchased it, so I’m not sure how the lady did this. I’ve moved the tree to a more sunny location now that it has leaves, so we'll see how the moss will like the additional light. I’ve never had good luck with moss except in the shade.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Same for me with moss. Shade to semi shade works best it seems. Although I have found a species, or local strain, of moss that seems to tolerate sunlight well…as long as it has some moisture below the greenery of the moss.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found the sunlight tolerant moss growing out in the sunny backyard.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Informal upright. Bigger question is what about roots? Seems such savage roots could be worked as part of eventual design? Also IF wanting bigger trunk will need to get out of Bonsai pot into growing container☺️.

Last edited:
Top Bottom