Windswept redo

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last spring I decided to do my first windswept attempt on one of my little bougies. I had a mistake that would prevent it from ever looking "right". Had the branches going same direction the roots were so it just didn't look right. With spring not too far off (I know dreaming of an early spring ;) ) I'm thinking about redoing this one to go in the right direction, and maybe use the redo to get rid of the V shape trunks that make a fork as well.

What do you guys think about chopping it as I have in the last pic?

P5CoEm.jpg

d6jeWu.jpg

OsEGcJ.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like that little wire cut will be left?
I'd cut that off.

Of this thread.....I see Carol found it...
But I couldn't find it on new posts.....
I did click the PM message link, but thatvopened in a new window, and usually won't bump a post off new.....

Went back still couldnt find it?
@Bonsai Nut glitch?

Odd.

Sorce

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ZeUhrM.jpg

There's actually no cut from the wire, I think it was just the raffia I had under the wire flaring up making it look like it was dug into it. Here's a pic of it with the raffia/wire off.. There is a spot below that where a damn chipmunk that wouldn't leave my trees alone last year pulled a little bark off lol. I think that should cover over this summer most likely though once it goes back outside.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Steve, when you take pictures of bonsai, the camera should be pretty much level with the rim if the pot. That way, we can see the trunk.

In your puctures, pretty much all we can see is the top of the soil, and as lovely as that is, I makes it difficult to tell anything about the style of the tree.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Usually I do take shots at pot level, but with the tropicals being inside I don't really have a good clean one color backdrop for taking pot level shots. If you saw my basement you would know what I mean, it's walls are all covered with either fish tanks or fishing pictures so any of that as a backdrop makes it even harder to tell the trunk. I'll tryin find something that is one color to put behind it for a pic though.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well this might work okay. With the Tv off it makes for at least a uniform color backdrop. See if these are a bit better for seeing the trunk.
vpJ5Gk.jpg

Tfg1of.jpg

WRnXla.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like fork in trunk/not a problem. Unless on cliff edge roots go any direction on windswept. No problem. Also trunk begins growth any direction to wind as long as branches turn or go with wind. Bonsai Techniques II, nature will give many illustrations to unusual form;). Also bend branches backward your tree may break or kill.

Top Bottom