Winged elm Acquisition

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just picked up this winged elm from the FB auctions. I actually got really busy over a weekend of holiday markets and forgot to bid on the tree. I contacted the seller and it was still available. This trees bark and basic shape called to me and sometimes that’s enough to pull the trigger. I figured after the busy last several months I’ve had I deserved a reward. That and elms seem to thrive best here in NM. The tree was in a bonsai seeker pot that broke during shipment unfortunately. It was packed well and I don’t blame the seller. He was kind enough though to offer a discount for the price of the pot.

I’ll need to ground layer or approach graft some roots over the next few years, and the chop site will need addressing. the existing branch structure is pretty good also and I think I’ll be able to see that more once I wore out the branches and leader. All and all I’m happy with the purchase and look forward to its development.

Attachments

• 64C4D2B1-30D2-4905-8F75-0E886F2AE7BD.jpeg
    64C4D2B1-30D2-4905-8F75-0E886F2AE7BD.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 9C658466-353E-4040-A645-003B277D06F6.jpeg
    9C658466-353E-4040-A645-003B277D06F6.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 9E21B5C6-2A12-4A0C-B0F2-ECC18D86CF96.jpeg
    9E21B5C6-2A12-4A0C-B0F2-ECC18D86CF96.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 183

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Danny, this tree reminds me a lot of my American elm (the one on a slab). This one has nice aged bark.
Thanks Sergio. I see the resemblance in terms of early potential. A ways to go in regards to what you’ve got for sure. But yours was a definite inspiration of mine (as usual) when purchasing. I’ll have to pour over your images more for direction long term The bark is what sold me but I also liked the branch placement. The more upward growth appears more natural for an elm and I liked that. The guy I bought it from collects these from his property in Arkansas. He said he’s got quite a few collected winged elm specimen and the price for this one was very fair.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've one from an Ark collector/FB seller for a couple years now in Ohio. Last name starts w/K. Very nice people. I was worried about how it would do in Ohio winters but, survived just fine last year. Working towards a broom design at the moment. He said his wife does the packing and it was VERY well packed and supported. Mine only in a plastic pot for shipping so, no problems.
Good luck w/your's and I'll be following your progress:)

Attachments

• IMG_20201028_132848793_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201028_132848793_HDR.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 173

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've one from an Ark collector/FB seller for a couple years now in Ohio. Last name starts w/K. Very nice people. I was worried about how it would do in Ohio winters but, survived just fine last year. Working towards a broom design at the moment. He said his wife does the packing and it was VERY well packed and supported. Mine only in a plastic pot for shipping so, no problems.
Good luck w/your's and I'll be following your progress:)
Possibly the same folks. The guys name is Keith Mckean. This one was also packed well and why I didn’t give him grief about the pot.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's him. Couldn't remember the name.
The time of year may have something to do with the treatment of parcels.
I think mine was collected in 18 and sold spring of 2020. I would recommend them and buy again.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's him. Couldn't remember the name.
The time of year may have something to do with the treatment of parcels.
I think mine was collected in 18 and sold spring of 2020. I would recommend them and buy again.
Same. Price for the tree was right, for me at least, especially for the character of the bark. He mentioned that he’s got hundreds of trees started from seed and collected and to message anytime with inquiries.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great looking elm Danny! As stated above, the bark looks old and mature already.

Have you done one of your awesome virtual a for this tree yet? :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great looking elm Danny! As stated above, the bark looks old and mature already.

Have you done one of your awesome virtual a for this tree yet? :)
Thanks TJ! I haven’t yet, but I’m going to! I’ve got the day off from winter markets so I’m going to wire and virtual the tree today I hope.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4F8632FC-922B-4CC4-9DC9-B2395C2CC736.jpegDEF09342-B2D3-4CCB-B426-942855FA5A47.jpeg
not sure if I’ll be able to bend up the leader in this shape. Also, I’ve embellished the nebari, but I’d love to see it in this shape eventually. I’m hoping i can get some adventitious budding on the backside of the tree as well. I dont know, maybe 15 years till i get close to an image like this. 😂

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the drawing and the visual, but the movement in the apex may be wrong. Like maybe it conflicts with the primary branch a bit. I may be overthinking it as its a bit inconsequential now, but I’m wondering if maybe i need to wire that leader different than what i have captured in the drawing? I feel like with the primary branch being on the left side of the tree and the lean being in that direction that the apex should reflect that movement. @MACH5 @Colorado thoughts?

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just picked up this winged elm from the FB auctions. I actually got really busy over a weekend of holiday markets and forgot to bid on the tree. I contacted the seller and it was still available. This trees bark and basic shape called to me and sometimes that’s enough to pull the trigger. I figured after the busy last several months I’ve had I deserved a reward. That and elms seem to thrive best here in NM. The tree was in a bonsai seeker pot that broke during shipment unfortunately. It was packed well and I don’t blame the seller. He was kind enough though to offer a discount for the price of the pot.

I’ll need to ground layer or approach graft some roots over the next few years, and the chop site will need addressing. the existing branch structure is pretty good also and I think I’ll be able to see that more once I wore out the branches and leader. All and all I’m happy with the purchase and look forward to its development.
I have several trees from Keith. He sells decent material for a good price. In many cases he does the initial branch placement. Everything he sold me has been shipped well.
My winged elm is very similar, just a little more upright. It will end up more of a broom style.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great start!
Based on the one giant root that is visible seems like a ground layer would be a better choice than root grafting, without seeing the whole root system of course.
Agreed. I think what I will do is ring the base for a ground layer come late spring and will also take cuttings to approach graft roots long term.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several trees from Keith. He sells decent material for a good price. In many cases he does the initial branch placement. Everything he sold me has been shipped well.
My winged elm is very similar, just a little more upright. It will end up more of a broom style.
Yeah I picked this one because it seemed to have more movement than a lot of his other trees. One thing he does that I’m not a fan of is leave multiple branches emanating from a single point. I wish he’d cut to one early on. He’s also got a souther crabapple on 99cent bonsai right now that looks pretty darn nice for the price.

Top Bottom