Winged Elm in a Bokeno.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Box! :p

Ha! I think it's great that these bonsai shipping materials get reused and reshipped! @VAFisher sent me this last spring in a box he got a Bokeno pot in so I been looking for the right Bokeno pot for this tree....I got about 10 years!

Anyway.... This tree done did winter like a champ...20180109_122055_HDR.jpg

Right.20180413_173431.jpg

Nice!20180413_173427.jpg

So it's threaded like an Adidas shoe in the 80's wasn't.

Sorce

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It started as an embrace for warmth but quickly turned to passion

Collected winged elm recently..seems to be doing alright.
Any thoughts on wiring these?..wings, wings..treat em' like any other? Are they resilient/tough, or kidgloves?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It started as an embrace for warmth but quickly turned to passion

Collected winged elm recently..seems to be doing alright.
Any thoughts on wiring these?..wings, wings..treat em' like any other? Are they resilient/tough, or kidgloves?

I noted wings to not appear until after summer dormancy...

Wire before they show up?
I guess by consciously setting up your first spring wiring to contain the forks you cut back to, you can avoid wiring over wings all together.

Twice the taper in branches..But one less ramification...

In trade for twice the ramification if utilizing both growth spurts, But less taper.

The wings? I don't even believe in wiring deciduous trees really!

Then again....I have absolutely 0 healthy regular regularly used deciduous trees.

Only 2 elms that are older than one season.

I suck dirty fert balls at deciduous trees!

Sorce

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool man. I was wondering if it made it through your winter. I reckon you can get it in a Bokeno faster than 10 years though. This one is only 1 year older and yours is a cutting from it. This thing was like 6 feet tall last year.20180414_165036.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Made it thru this winter
I'm glad you got one of our VA native trees, and it makes it through your winters! I hope it continues to do well for you. I butchered the roots on my main one this year and up potted it, didn't skip a beat!

They get really interesting wings at the bases while still young, then they mature to super craggy bark. They grow like weeds here. There's a stand of them behind my old greenhouse where I used to work along the ditch, about 40-50' long, usually full of water, and they dominate those spots!

This is the one I repotted this spring. An air layer off of a 15' tree from work, about 2" wide at the soil, but the base is buried and probably close to 3"

IMG_20190526_140104129.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm glad you got one of our VA native trees, and it makes it through your winters! I hope it continues to do well for you. I butchered the roots on my main one this year and up potted it, didn't skip a beat!

They get really interesting wings at the bases while still young, then they mature to super craggy bark. They grow like weeds here. There's a stand of them behind my old greenhouse where I used to work along the ditch, about 40-50' long, usually full of water, and they dominate those spots!

This is the one I repotted this spring. An air layer off of a 15' tree from work, about 2" wide at the soil, but the base is buried and probably close to 3"

View attachment 244122

I like that bark. Wonder how many years it takes to get like that? I recall seeing a really nice big one at the NC arboretum in Asheville and I remember the bark being almost black. Are there different varieties? Or maybe I'm misremembering.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Made it thru this winter too! Phew!

View attachment 244069View attachment 244070

Sorce

Very cool. They seem to be pretty hard to kill so far based on my experience. I did my first successful ground layer on one last year. This year, I separated the layer, chopped the trunk to about 3 inches and potted it up. It took its time but finally budded out and is growing strong now.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
that bark. Wonder how many years it takes to get like that?
Honestly, probably only 2-3 years in the open ground. Mine also really trunked up in 1.5 years in a 3 gallon pot, probably at least 1.5". There are 5"+ ones at that spot at Gbgh, I can get permission to dig, layer, or whatever if you want some more! :cool:

Are there different varieties
I think just different genetics. I've seen other's pictures here and they don't seem to retain the wings after about 2-3 year old stems, and the trunks are completely lacking wings. Ours around here seem to be covered from top to bottom with wings, some of the thicker ones at that spot have really nice trunks, somewhere between wings and corky bark.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are 5"+ ones at that spot at Gbgh, I can get permission to dig, layer, or whatever if you want some more!

I'll keep that in the old hip pocket. I'm on a kick right now of trying not to have redundant trees in my collection and I've got 4 winged elms - 2 in pots and 2 in baskets. Appreciate the offer though. Reminds me, we need to work out a trade or something for a laurel oak.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, willow oak. Don't know what I was thinking there. Sorry for the hijack Sorce.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry for the hijack Sorce.
Ditto

@sorce
What is your plan for yours?Just let it grow and see what you got or cuttings/layers?

I find their branches make interesting angle changes, and natural zig zagging which will be good for clip and grow. I could also see layering the top off of yours where it V's for a twin trunk while doing something else with the base. I have two others that have the same thing going on and that's what I'm contemplating.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is your plan for yours?

I didn't need to think about it much until a couple days ago!
I reckon if it can live thru this last winter, it'll live thru any other with further training/care, so I'll get to thinking now!

Sorce

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
but it is JUST happening now!
Damn, just now leafing out?

I think mine have had leaves since late February, but then again everything woke up early this year. Had crapes wake up in March :eek:, they usually don't wake up til early May...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Pretty sure this is utilizing everything between that bud and the soil line that didn't die to produce just enough life to continue.

Super effed!

Sorce

Top Bottom