Winged Elm Progression

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This tree started as a volunteer in one of my flower beds in 2016. I was weeding one day, noticed the leaves and decided to yank it and put it in some potting soil. At the time, I didn't know what type of elm it was but later determined that it was a winged. Here is the first pic I took of it in 2016.

w2016.jpeg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In 2017 and 2018, I grew it in a pond basket and just allowed it to grow wild and do it's thing. I took some cuttings from it, which took easily but never ended up doing anything with those and just planted them back in the woods.

w2017.jpeg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In 2019, it was starting to look like something resembling a tree and I was happy enough with the trunk thickness for a femine tree. So I put it in a bonsai pot. I don't remember when I did the original chop - most likely some time in 2018 but I don't have any pics from that year.

w2019.jpg

These are from later in 2019. The tree was doing well.
w20192.jpg

Looking a little better but there is a void in the branch structure on the left side that I needed to deal with.

w20193.jpg

Last edited:

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is the tree in 2022. I was able to separate the approach graft last winter as the trunk had rolled almost all the way around it. No repot this year and I've got a nasty algae growing on the soil that I need to deal with but the tree is growing strong.

w2022.jpg

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is the tree in 2022. I was able to separate the approach graft last winter as the trunk had rolled almost all the way around it. No repot this year and I've got a nasty algae growing on the soil that I need to deal with but the tree is growing strong.

View attachment 439750
Tree looks great. What is your plan of attack for the algae?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. You sure its a winged elm? Chinese elm possible?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree. You sure its a winged elm? Chinese elm possible?
Thanks. I'm as sure as I can be I guess. I'm not aware of any Chinese elms around here that would have produced a volunteer and winged elms are all over the place. The wings are also pretty prominent.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The tree is looking great in such a short time. I'm not a fan of slabs but I think it looks good.

Top Bottom