Winter bonsai Maple indoors

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
Can a bonsai Maple be wintered indoors in Northern Wisconsin? I assume they can be left outside all year in far southern states. Is this possible if given proper sunlight and water.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's a little late to ask the question about Northern Wisconsin. If it's Japanese Maple it would have to been out there and well-mulched-in by November to be acclimated. That process of getting ready for winter takes all autumn. You need to say more about species, where is it now, how long you've had it, etc.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it has been in your house until now, youre going to have to try and acclimate it to outside.
As Dave said, they need dormancy in the cold.
However you cant take it from normal house temps @68 deg F to 30 or below in one day.
That could kill it.

Last edited:

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
I do not have one yet and was planning on ordering one when the weather improves. Am thinking about next winter. How do maples survive in states like Florida, Georgia etc. Do they go dormant in warm climates also.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There were some decent Amur Maples Floating between here at The Hidden Gardens and Michigan.

They'd do you fine up there.

Maybe a tiny road trip is in order!

C'mon Down!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Maples in northern Wisconsin. I was working for a week as a consultant at the now defunct Lake States Paper Mill in Rhinelander, Wisc. During that week the daytime highs were well below zero. (below -18 C ). One night the real temperature dipped to -44 F, without wind chill. That is -42 C without factoring in windchill. No Japanese maple would survive that.

There is one species of maple good for bonsai that will survive zone 3b winters, and that is Acer ginnala, the Amur maple. This is the species of maple you want for northern Wisconsin. You can leave it outside all winter, simply set the pot on the ground, in a location that is in the shade, like the north side of the house, or a fence, or under the bonsai bench. The Amur maple will do well. Amur maple has small leaves, similar to trident maple. Leaves are green until autumn, then they light up in colors of gold, orange and flaming red, often all 3 colors on the same tree.

The native sugar maple has leaves that do not reduce enough to be in proportion for bonsai, even though it is hardy enough.

Japanese maples and trident maples, the most common maples used for bonsai will not survive a northern Wisconsin zone 3b or 4a winter. They would have to be protected, preferably from temperatures below 0 F.

Maples in northern Florida & Georgia do drop their leaves and go dormant for the winter. Japanese maples need a cool to cold dormancy in winter to thrive. Japanese maples in Southern Florida and Southern California usually fail to thrive, because they do not get a sufficiently cold dormant rest. Also especially in the desert southwest, and California, summer heat will kill Japanese maples. THey are not raised everywhere. Only the more temperate, mild summers, cold but not too cold winters areas of the USA have good Japanese maples.

You really can not winter them as if they were a tropical houseplant. THey might survive one winter, but will be weaker, and by the second or third winter will die due to one opportunistic problem or another.

Amur maples are your best bet.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Amur maple isn’t the only option. Korean maple (Acer pseudosieboldianum) can also handle those harsh temperatures. There’s also a hybrid with palmatum that retains the cold hardiness characteristic of the pseudosieboldianum.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you are looking for something that can live inside year round, the maple is not going to work for you. There are several things that do make good bonsai and can be inside. The most common used is ficus. There are many good examples of ficus bonsai, they are easy to work with bud back well, grow strongly and the leaves reduce. They do enjoy being outside in the summer but do not demand it.

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
If you are looking for something that can live inside year round, the maple is not going to work for you. There are several things that do make good bonsai and can be inside. The most common used is ficus. There are many good examples of ficus bonsai, they are easy to work with bud back well, grow strongly and the leaves reduce. They do enjoy being outside in the summer but do not demand it.

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks much for all your help. I will rethink my choices. Three years ago my daughter had a Juniper sent to me from Florida and this forum was a huge help in getting this poor Southern tree acclimated to our harsh climate and is now buried under my deck with leaves and snow. Has been doing great and buds in the spring. I would like to now purchase a deciduous bonsai. Thanks for the help to a newbie.`

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ah Ha!, You do have some experience. It is great to hear someone put their "sold as indoor bonsai" juniper outside and it survived. Well done.

Deciduous trees, maples in particular are fun because of the color changes in autumn. Amur maple will do you well. The
Korean maple, Acer pseudosieboldianum, is a good choice but it is difficult to source. You need to make sure it was either cutting grown or grown from seed. You should avoid a grafted Korean maple. Reason is, the under stock might be regular Japanese maple, which would NOT be cold hardy.

Look around your neighborhood. What deciduous trees & shrubs are being sold for landscape use? Which ones have good autumn colors? Crab apples make decent bonsai if you get cutting grown cultivars. They are at least as hardy as your juniper. The leaf colors are not the best in autumn, but the colorful fruit is a great autumn interest. Also check out Cotoneaster. A few of the cotoneasters are quite winter hardy and should be available at your local landscape nursery.

For cutting raised crab apples. check out selection at Evergreen Gardenworks. All his crab apples, maples, and flowering quince are cutting grown, no grafted material.

Another tree to look into is Carpinus caroliniana - American Hornbeam, also called blue beech, and loose flowered hornbeam. They have wonderful yellow and orange fall color and are native to all of Wisconsin. So they will be fully winter hardy. Make great bonsai.

Related to hornbeam, Ostrya virginiana - Hop Flowered Hornbeam - also called ironwood. This is another Wisconsin Native - yellow leaves in autumn. Interesting seed "cones" that can hang all winter.

Elms - most elms do yellow, and only yellow in autumn. A choice one is Ulmus thomasii - rock elm, native to the sand counties of the driftless of Wisconsin. You might find it farther north. The American elm makes good bonsai also, can be found throughout the state. When grown in a bonsai pot the "Dutch Elm Disease" is not a problem, easy to treat if it does get infected. Siberian elm, a widespread invasive species is good for bonsai also. Keep in mind, Siberian elm absolutely needs full sun or it will drop branches on you.

Look around, lots of useful trees for bonsai growing in the Wisconsin north woods.

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
Ah Ha!, You do have some experience. It is great to hear someone put their "sold as indoor bonsai" juniper outside and it survived. Well done.

Deciduous trees, maples in particular are fun because of the color changes in autumn. Amur maple will do you well. The
Korean maple, Acer pseudosieboldianum, is a good choice but it is difficult to source. You need to make sure it was either cutting grown or grown from seed. You should avoid a grafted Korean maple. Reason is, the under stock might be regular Japanese maple, which would NOT be cold hardy.

Look around your neighborhood. What deciduous trees & shrubs are being sold for landscape use? Which ones have good autumn colors? Crab apples make decent bonsai if you get cutting grown cultivars. They are at least as hardy as your juniper. The leaf colors are not the best in autumn, but the colorful fruit is a great autumn interest. Also check out Cotoneaster. A few of the cotoneasters are quite winter hardy and should be available at your local landscape nursery.

For cutting raised crab apples. check out selection at Evergreen Gardenworks. All his crab apples, maples, and flowering quince are cutting grown, no grafted material.

Another tree to look into is Carpinus caroliniana - American Hornbeam, also called blue beech, and loose flowered hornbeam. They have wonderful yellow and orange fall color and are native to all of Wisconsin. So they will be fully winter hardy. Make great bonsai.

Related to hornbeam, Ostrya virginiana - Hop Flowered Hornbeam - also called ironwood. This is another Wisconsin Native - yellow leaves in autumn. Interesting seed "cones" that can hang all winter.

Elms - most elms do yellow, and only yellow in autumn. A choice one is Ulmus thomasii - rock elm, native to the sand counties of the driftless of Wisconsin. You might find it farther north. The American elm makes good bonsai also, can be found throughout the state. When grown in a bonsai pot the "Dutch Elm Disease" is not a problem, easy to treat if it does get infected. Siberian elm, a widespread invasive species is good for bonsai also. Keep in mind, Siberian elm absolutely needs full sun or it will drop branches on you.

Look around, lots of useful trees for bonsai growing in the Wisconsin north woods.

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
My experience is only with the Juniper I had received as a gift. I followed the advice that I got on this forum. Some said that I had my work cut out for me with a Juniper from Fla. Am glad to report that the little guy has come out of winter for the last 2 years just fine. I never got around to ordering a deciuous Bonsai. Appreciate the help and advice from those of you that have the knowledge and experience. Will be ordering one when the weather improves. ( could be July haha )

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several Amurs and one Trident here in Door County (zone 5) and they seem to do well here.
You probably won't find any Amurs for sale locally - I think they are illegal for nurseries to sell in WI, with the exception of named cultivars. You can get them shipped from other states, though. The reason is they do so well here, they are considered a potentially invasive species. They have beautiful fall colors unlike my Trident which always seems to get caught by surprise by the first frosts and just kind of turns brown.

Anyway Amurs should do well for you, provided you don't let them produce seed. Tridents might work if you can provide a sheltered spot for winter but you won't be able to trim them back 2-3 times a summer like those in warmer areas do.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
How the HELL did I miss this!!

You guys gotta start "summoning" me when you run into Wisco guys!

Greetings, friend!

I'm in wisconsin as well.. right on the Kewaunee/Door boarder...

Yooooou should send me a PM...

I need more study group guys!

Pleasure to make your acqaintance.

Ps.. any tararican... Korean, Truncatum.. and any native or naturalized Acer works well way up here.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have several Amurs and one Trident here in Door County (zone 5) and they seem to do well here.
You probably won't find any Amurs for sale locally - I think they are illegal for nurseries to sell in WI, with the exception of named cultivars. You can get them shipped from other states, though. The reason is they do so well here, they are considered a potentially invasive species. They have beautiful fall colors unlike my Trident which always seems to get caught by surprise by the first frosts and just kind of turns brown.

Anyway Amurs should do well for you, provided you don't let them produce seed. Tridents might work if you can provide a sheltered spot for winter but you won't be able to trim them back 2-3 times a summer like those in warmer areas do.
It's important to point out that this area we like in is USDA 5... but AHS 2 or 3...

Yes Amurs are illegal to sell here..

Why aren't we (us NE Wisconsin Folk) giving eachother garden tours.. and meeting for coffee, and going on tree hunting expeditions?...

Am I a "scary" guy?

...I can NEVER tell.

😂😂😂

(I was just in Door County diggin trees yesterday. :) )

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Old thread, OK, but interesting.

I suppose Acer tataricum ssp. ginnala must be considered as an invasive species in Wisconsin. The climate is much too mild here for them to be considered as "invaders" : just a couple of nights at -5°C (23° F).

Watch out for the flying saucers spreading out-of-space seeds...

One of my favourite series when I was a kid. The next morning, in the schoolyard during the break, we would put up our little finger up to pretend we were... dangerous...👹

Last edited:
Top Bottom