Winter Bonsai Pond Planter Advice

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I live in Maryland, USA, midatlantic region. Winter is typically -6C to +6C (range of 20F to 40F)
What is recommended frequency of watering during colder winter months? Should I water when above freezing temperature? Should I avoid watering below freezing temperature?
Do I need to cover/wrap around pond planter to prevent dryout?
No fertilizing, correct?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It depends!

This is the first year I've seen winter come like a switch.

Where a need for watering just simply turned off.

Usually it's here and there till a time when everything goes froze and the wet and cold just does its thing.

Frozen soil looks dry.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It depends!

This is the first year I've seen winter come like a switch.

Where a need for watering just simply turned off.

Usually it's here and there till a time when everything goes froze and the wet and cold just does its thing.

Frozen soil looks dry.

Sorce
This is true.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would try to at least wrap the pot or even better mulch around it if possible. The better aeration these pots affords also means more cold air directly to the root system. Mulching them in will also help with keeping the substrate moist longer.

With watering frequency, I guess that depends on site location, deciduous/evergreen, substrate composition, etc... I would just make sure nothing ever really dries out completely.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And yeah no watering during freezing weather, water before temps drop below freezing. Some people leave a dish of water out near their plants so they can visibly see if things are frozen or not. I believe a moist soil is better than a dry soil going into a freeze.

And yes, no fertilizing; it would be a waste anyway. Depending on the weather, fertilizing late in the season could promote new growth which you don't want going into the winter. Good luck!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pile snow or ice on your trees, then you don't have to worry about it. When it is below freezing the ice just sits there. If you have a warm day, the ice melts. It is an easy visual indicator that you can see from inside your warm house as well - that doesn't require you to get cold just to check your trees :)

I agree with @cbroad that a pond basket may need side protection in the winter to prevent roots from getting freeze-dried from the side.

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe I'll dig a hole and put them in the ground, (pond planter and all)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Maybe I'll dig a hole and put them in the ground, (pond planter and all)

Sounds like a good plan if you use free-draining mulch around the trees and your soil isn't water impenetrable (like our crappy clay soil). You don't want to mulch them into a small pond :)

Top Bottom