Winter broken pot - advice wanted on how to proceed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Post title says it all, had a pot break during the cold snap despite being mulched in. Shoulda replaced it when I repotted this year since it had a hairline fracture, but it didn't happen. Now how to proceed as in balmy Tennessee, I've not dealt with winter broken pots, even with Terra Cotta.

Background:

-American Wisteria.
-Root work and repotted Spring 2019.
-Plant 80% healthy, had some issues the past two summers with yellowing leaves and early defoliation, cured it at the end of this summer by relocating it with the pot in mostly shade and the canopy in mostly sun.
-tree is mulched I to its winter placement.

Unfortunately, I don't have a similar sized bonsai pot so I have a couple options.

1) I pressed the pot back together, just two pieces, and pushed against another tree to hold them together, remulched the entire pot back in. Leave this way until spring.

2) Repot now. The best I can do is to just Repot it into a nursery container, mulch back in, leave until spring or leave in nursery pot all next year to regain strength from two root disturbances in one year.

What do you nuts think?

IMG_20191116_120659.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can leave it mulched in for the winter.
You can pop it out of the pot and simply set it aside (where it is now or sitting on a bench or where ever).
Then you might glue the pot back together. I've done this with Gorilla glue - you just need a means of holding it together for part of day against the expansion of the glue. On the next day you can pop the tree back into the pot. If the ceramic is indeed stoneware, it will last for at least half a decade.​
Of course, it can always be Red Green-ed, if you are handy. 🤣

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Based on size of mulch, the pot isn't all that big?

I would loop a zip tie where it sits now and start ratcheting it up till it reach the upper section of the pot.

Then tilt the pot opposite direction of where it broke and tighten the zip tie.

For good measure, I would duct tape the entire circumference of the pot. If it breaks again, at least the tape will hold it together.

Or maybe duct tape entire pot as some has suggested lol

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve used zip ties when binding something like that. It may take a couple zipped together to for a large enough circle...but they last a long time. If this was my situation, I'd fill a much larger plastic nursery pot with soil (not mulch), make a pot-sized hole in the center, hold this broken pot together and slip it into the bigger nursery pot right up to the rim until desired removal time....which doesn’t have to be right away. Plant the pot and all to keep the roots together. I’d leave like this for the next season if gaining health back is a need.

Top Bottom