Winter care devices - anybody uses these?

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello Bonsai people,

I stumbled upon this item, a piece of special fabric (which feels in between real fabric and paper) that is supposed to cover your plant during frosty nights. It's not waterproof and makes air flows, so it doesn't isolate as a plastic cover.

Anybody has experience with it? Or know anything about its efficacy with bonsai?

Thank you as usual!

Leo

Attachments

• bonsaicover.jpg
    bonsaicover.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 30

Motus

Seedling
Reaction score
I've used it. Helps prevent frost damage and some wind desiccation. It's like a sweater on a chilly night. It's good stuff.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
To me it looks like a wind catcher.
Our winters and autumns can have some strong winds, I wouldn't want branches being ripped off or mangled because of a protectant, or worse: the pot blown off the bench.
But for ground storage of trees, in a somewhat protected area, I can see this work.

Then again, I don't do tree protection. It's live or die in my back yard.

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a similar concept to covering a bed of roses with burlap. It works.

Or rather I've used burlap to cover bonsai that have been set on the ground. It is a useful wind break.

I tried it on a prunus mume, but it's not easy to keep it on without getting tangled on the branches. I lost one flower bud because of it, so I decided to shield the tree by putting it next to a wall or fence.

Ume's buds are far more delicate than I imagined

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Horticultural fleece has its applications but it can work as a sail in the wind and can hold water as well as damage buds on removal. My grandad used to use this in spring to cover plants if a late frost was likely then it was removed after frost has melted. For bonsai and long term winter protection use a greenhouse, mulch in, put in a unheated garage or cold frame.

Top Bottom