Winter care for bonsai

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Since we’re still stuck in winter it seems like a good time to ask how do you get your collection through their dormancy? Here’s a chance to show off in photos your hoop houses, cold frames, mulching beds, etc. Because of the really cold weather we had in January I moved most of my plants into the garage but I do have a couple still stashed up against the brick wall with a layer of leaves protecting the roots—I hope. However I’m always open to new ideas for winterizing them.

780D0944-EC4D-4CAA-81C2-50F3D4407802.jpeg

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Against the foundation of the house. No wind to speak of. Finally lattice on top to prevent damage from heavy snow. IMG_2681.JPGIMG_2683.JPGIMG_2684.JPGIMG_2685.JPG

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Great looking mansion for wildlife! If you know what I mean ;)

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great looking mansion for wildlife! If you know what I mean ;)
The only time I had any problems was I had the trees on the ground awaiting their placement for winter and a rabbit ate some branches. Once the "walls" are up, never noticed any issues with mice or squirrels, etc. Luckily.

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
Do I need to keep my hemlock in my greenhouse if the temperature is mostly in the 30's, but it sometimes dips below freezing? (especially this week because the temperature is consistently a little under freezing)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Do I need to keep my hemlock in my greenhouse if the temperature is mostly in the 30's, but it sometimes dips below freezing? (especially this week because the temperature is consistently a little under freezing)
Eastern hemlock is hardy to -30 F in ground... not sure about Western Hemlock but suspect almost as hardy, so temps in the 30's should be nothing to your tree... they can be in frozen soil for months if kept out of direct sun and wind.

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
My only concern right now is ice on the foliage. I've notice that lots of the needles are surrounded by clumps of ice. Should I worry about that?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My only concern right now is ice on the foliage. I've notice that lots of the needles are surrounded by clumps of ice. Should I worry about that?
Were the tree entirely encased in ice, it would survive for several days. Albeit all tissues need oxygen to survive, but metabolic activity (and hence the oxygen demand) is at a snails pace. A bit of ice on the tops or bottoms of individual needles is not a problem. You will likely do more damage to the needles trying to knock it off. If ice or snow on these trees was a problem, they would only be found in the tropics. Tsuga are an alpine species. They easily cope with tons of snow and ice. Even their roots can withstand temperatures approaching -30F if conditioned by exposure to deepening cold over the span of a few weeks - kinda the thing that normally happens in fall.

Last edited:

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We had temperatures drop to -28 (-50 with wind chill at times) over the last couple weeks and I felt like I had no choice but to bring my three junipers and one spruce into the garage for about a week. I didn't dig them out of the mulched in coldframe I built just brought the whole thing in as one to try and dull the temp shock to the roots.

wrong move?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wind chill applies only to people and possibly other warm blooded animals. It is pretty much irrelevant to plants.

If you did this based on a forecast, it was probably a good move. If you did this after it had already been 28 below, maybe pointless. Are you talking about tsugas or something else too?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive seen hemlock completely covered in ice during natural events and freezing rain storms. I dont think a few days with ice on the needles will hurt it.

Top Bottom