Winter Care for week Larch

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends, I have a Larch whose branches are thin and week. All current years branches are thin now and are essential for my design.

I was wondering of things that can be done to ensure that the thin branches survive through the winter.

What about using sprays you get in market to prevent dehydration of cuttings? Has anyone ever tried this? Pease share your experience abd thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance For your inputs.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Temperature in a London winter is a piece of cake for larch. Don't let it dry out and it will be fine.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
It doesn’t need anything.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Last year, it actually lost quite a few branches. So asking this question.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Last winter the temperature in London barely dropped below freezing. If your tree suffered it would have been for some other reason, not the weather.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WHY is your larch weak? How do you keep it?

Letting it freeze is no problem. THis is one of the species I do not protect at all.

Keep in mind, it needs lots of sun. Cool roots. And a well-draining substrate.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score

Letting it freeze is no problem. THis is one of the species I do not protect at all.

I bought it last November I kept it in full sun during the summer this year and it was healthy looked green all summer. But I am now worried that as you say "Cool roots" that may have been missing. The substrate is good quality drains very well. I am worried that the sun may have left the soil warmer and fried the roots.

I think your advise for cool roots is a piece of gem for me. I can quite relate to that.

But given the situation it is now in what is the best thing to do to over winter it.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I agree with the others : if you lost branches, it's not due to the weather : check the soil, and the roots, some may have rotten because of... the English weather ? I mean too much water 🤤

BTW, which are the strongest days?...

Saturday and Sunday, because all the others are weak days! 😄

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Larch grows right up to the Arctic Circle over permafrost. A 50 year old specimen may be 3 feet tall. Tamarack grow on bogs, too. What does that tell you about hot feet? The European takes drier conditions than Tamarack, but is tree of cool to cold regions. For bonsai the problem is full sun with cool roots, both being absolutes.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Larch grows right up to the Arctic Circle over permafrost. A 50 year old specimen may be 3 feet tall. Tamarack grow on bogs, too. What does that tell you about hot feet? The European takes drier conditions than Tamarack, but is tree of cool to cold regions. For bonsai the problem is full sun with cool roots, both being absolutes.
Yes I get this that the roots must be kept on cooler side and warmer foot will be disaster.

How is this balance if full sun and cold feet achieved? What do people do for this? Please share your thoughts on this.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
It all depends on your set-up, where you can keep it in summer , in a garden in partial shade or exposed in full sun on hot paving? Its a case of you choosing the best aspect and location for your tree, given the guidance already shared on here

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would ensure the roots are not soaking wet (Not sure what substrate you have) and just wait out winter. Once the buds start to shine and the first one has a line of green, repot / check the roots.

On the hottest days I put my larch in a spot where they do not get afternoon sun, and I water them a lot (VERY open substrate though).
Some people wrap wet cloth around pots of sensitive species.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hello Friends, I have a Larch whose branches are thin and week. All current years branches are thin now and are essential for my design.

I was wondering of things that can be done to ensure that the thin branches survive through the winter.

What about using sprays you get in market to prevent dehydration of cuttings? Has anyone ever tried this? Pease share your experience abd thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance For your inputs.
As the winter progresses, depending on how severe the winter is and how abundant the snow fall, the tree should be placed on the North or East side of a structure where it does not get direct sun or direct wind. As the show falls keep dusting the snow on the tree. It is a great insulation and will protect the tree from early bud break, your real enemy.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You need to match the evaporation & transpiration verses media combination. Light colored and deeper pots and moss covering are aids. On hot days I water twice and I have a high organic media. If you choose a more inorganic media, adjust the delivery of water. Slabs are very popular, but like everything else in the world has a concurrent extra cost in management of water. Watering at noon insures that the tree roots have protection during the hottest 3 hours of the day.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sometimes during the summer I will splash some water on the outside of the pot during the hottest part of the day, to help cool it down without actually watering the tree and impacting the watering schedule.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Sun even in the winter or no?

Top Bottom