Winter Care In Not So Cold Central Florida

bdavid82

Seed
Reaction score
Hi friends. I am now 7 months deep into the hobby of my life. The growing season has been great! Here comes winter. Ironically, I'm concerned that it is not going to get cold enough to provide my white pines (Zuisho; very small and my Aoi; 1.5' tall; both potted) a proper dormancy.
I have a garage and an outdoor closet that is attached to the house. So I could store them (sunless) there. But Florida winters hit single digits only a handful of times and only late at night. Last Christmas, it was 79 degrees. I'm ready to convert a mini fridge and drill ventilation holes in side of it if I must. I want them to have a solid healthy dormancy in otherwise tropical local. Any how-to advice would be invaluable.

Thanks Much,
Dave "Bunjin Bacon" Williams

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm afraid the fridge idea or a friend who lives much much farther north may be the only hope for your white pines. I could be wrong and if they are grafted to JBP that could help a bit...but I wouldn't risk trying to over winter these in Florida without taking serious measures to give a good...somewhat consistent cold dormancy. To my knowledge JBP is the only pine that seems to survive so far south.

Welcome to the hobby by the way! I'm glad you're so excited and planning ahead. These qualities will help you go far in the hobby. :)

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm afraid the fridge idea or a friend who lives much much farther north may be the only hope for your white pines. I could be wrong and if they are grafted to JBP that could help a bit...but I wouldn't risk trying to over winter these in Florida without taking serious measures to give a good...somewhat consistent cold dormancy. To my knowledge JBP is the only pine that seems to survive so far south.

Welcome to the hobby by the way! I'm glad you're so excited and planning ahead. These qualities will help you go far in the hobby. :)

mickey12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I beg to differ a tree in dormancy is not actively growing so light is not an issue.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
nice another FLA nutter!! THat's why I just do native or cultivated locally species then I don't have to worry too much about it. Don't tell my African SIdeneck Turtles that, tho. They are hating life right now.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Use a fridge at White Pine temperature for dormancy, which is ? and we have done this with Junipers as well.
Just be aware of soil drying out.
We use bags and twist ties around the soil or pot [ if small enough ]
Fridge use since the 1980's .
Most plants can handle 2 months in the Fridge as Winter.
Good Luck.
Anthony

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That original post was from 2012!
Everything I am finding online says pine doesn't need light IF it is at a constant at or below freezing. If it doesn't stay under 40f you are probably going to kill it in the dark.
Trees that drop all their leaves you can place in the dark without issue. Deciduous trees rock!

Top Bottom