Winter comes way too early this year

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
24 F this coming Wednesday. We haven't seen for a long time even in January. For November this will be a record in my area.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mulched in a bunch of trees for our expected low of 13 degrees tomorrow night. Most are hardy for those temps but I worry about it being so early/sudden for them to adjust.

But this is Ohio... damn 24 way down in Louisiana?

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Same in Atlanta. Never have brought trees in but I think I will move a few to the garage since it is so early in the year and they are still in full leaf. Mainly worried about my oaks (live and Mediterranean oaks).

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
24 F this coming Wednesday. We haven't seen for a long time even in January. For November this will be a record in my area.

Wow! Thats pretty cold for LA, I am from New Orleans my self and moved away from there about 25 years ago to MD... Who Dat !!!!!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mid 60's here yesterday. Today started with sleet, then snowed all day, low tonight 10. :mad:

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I had more time, but I got everything mulched in by our deck, put up a windscreen to protect then from drying out. Planned on this next week, live and learn. Ohio, looking at teens for a couple days before we see 50s again.

Brent

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We are hitting 20s for a few days in a row. Rain tomorrow then plummeting temps. Gonna get up early to try and get more trees dug in.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The coldest it’s been in my backyard so far this fall is 35°F. Wednesday morning it will be 22 F. Even though, except for two olives, all my trees are Hardy To zone seven or lower, this is going to be a very significant and dramatic drop in temperatures. Most of my deciduous trees are green and with minimal fall color showing as of yet. I had knee surgery 12 days ago… It’s too bad Someone wasn’t there videotaping me late this afternoon as I hobbled around my very steep backyard, swearing under my breath as I struggled to get the most sensitive trees on the ground.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Same in Atlanta. Never have brought trees in but I think I will move a few to the garage since it is so early in the year and they are still in full leaf. Mainly worried about my oaks (live and Mediterranean oaks).
Where in Atlanta r u located?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hopefully this is temporary in early November.IMG_20191112_151915424.jpgIMG_20191112_151938313.jpg

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just spent 3 hours this morning moving everything around on my deck. Trees off the benches to arrange a windbreak shelter. Take all of the deciduous or more sensitive trees in to the unheated garage. Many have only had their leaves start to turn, and none of my Chinese Elms seem to care that winter is coming yet.

This is like a month too early, evergreens in the windbreak. This unstable weather is problematic.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just spent 3 hours this morning moving everything around on my deck. Trees off the benches to arrange a windbreak shelter. Take all of the deciduous or more sensitive trees in to the unheated garage. Many have only had their leaves start to turn, and none of my Chinese Elms seem to care that winter is coming yet.

This is like a month too early, evergreens in the windbreak. This unstable weather is problematic.
View attachment 270940
Hmmmm. I would have left them outside. The trees, especially the pines, can handle the cold very well.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmmm. I would have left them outside. The trees, especially the pines, can handle the cold very well.
The evergreens, including the pines, are all staying outside, as they do year round (shown in the windbreak pic.). Only the deciduous or more sensitive trees went into the unheated garage.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There have been years in the Atlanta area where we haven't had low 20's an entire winter. This year we are getting them in November. Luckily it is only 2 nights and then we are back to normal fall temps.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
There have been years in the Atlanta area where we haven't had low 20's an entire winter. This year we are getting them in November. Luckily it is only 2 nights and then we are back to normal fall temps.
Just north of Atlanta here, and the new forecasted low for tomorrow morning is 18 F... definitely colder then anything we saw last winter... and it's only the second week of November!

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score

Definitely odd. I brought in a few in my garage. First time I have ever done so. Like Dave said, most of my trees haven’t even changed color which is my main concern.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The evergreens, including the pines, are all staying outside, as they do year round (shown in the windbreak pic.). Only the deciduous or more sensitive trees went into the unheated garage.
I keep some trees in a windbreak but I leave the top open so they get the natural elements of winter....cold and snow. A good blanket of snow on them is what I hope for each year. I never water trees in winter....nature does any watering and insulating. My trees are in wooden boxes though...so I think there is an added insulation factor.

Top Bottom