Winter comes way too early this year

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I keep some trees in a windbreak but I leave the top open so they get the natural elements of winter....cold and snow. A good blanket of snow on them is what I hope for each year. I never water trees in winter....nature does any watering and insulating. My trees are in wooden boxes though...so I think there is an added insulation factor.
Agreed, same. If only we could have a consistent snow cover... I will flip my tarp back to get everything some snow and rain. The tarp cover is primarily because we have so much rain in the winter instead of snow that I need to protect them from constant over saturation at times.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just north of Atlanta here, and the new forecasted low for tomorrow morning is 18 F... definitely colder then anything we saw last winter... and it's only the second week of November!
With the weather turning back to fall, is it too late to do any work? I have a couple of junipers that need some cleaning up and wiring. The same with some pines. No root work though.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
With the weather turning back to fall, is it too late to do any work? I have a couple of junipers that need some cleaning up and wiring. The same with some pines. No root work though.
You can Keep working them right through the winter, though heavily wired trees may need some protection from the kind of cold that what we had last night

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agreed, same. If only we could have a consistent snow cover... I will flip my tarp back to get everything some snow and rain. The tarp cover is primarily because we have so much rain in the winter instead of snow that I need to protect them from constant over saturation at times.

That's why I cover mine. Protection from wind on most sides and peotection from rain. Snow is allowed in always and rain in small doses.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to hear about all of the cold weather everybody is experiencing.
Sounds pretty bad.

Top Bottom