winter damage

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
As winter approaches I thought I would post a "heads up" for those newer bonsai enthusiasts who live in the north. Last winter I lost a fine (read expensive) lotus pot to the ice. The pot was high-temperature fired and should have been impervious. It would have been except the upper rim of the pot curved in slightly. That trapped the expansion as the soil froze, and the pot broke in two. If your soil is going to freeze, make sure it has room the expand, usually upward, in the pot. It is worth the effort.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to hear that Gene.

Very thoughtful.

Sorce

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure many of use will be taking an extra look at our pots and the soil level.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used to take of about a half inch of substrate after loosing a couple pots and it worked well. They are all empty this year but as I restock I will certainly do the same next year. They were also high fired so expansion must have been the real issue.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soil expansion is also another reason to wire trees in pots. I can see a tree in a shallow pot getting heaved right out.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been told that many people around here remove the tree from the pot to prevent the pot from shattering.
Not sure if that is a good idea for the tree or not.

LuxBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in a tropical country. I haven't experience this problem. I thought I will put my trees in my house.

Top Bottom