Winter Flowers - It's Bougie Time!

Sarsonator

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a severe case of cabin fever this year, as I hate to go out in the cold, yet am getting restless from being indoors. But last week, my bougie bonsai started to push bracts and I could not be more excited!

I had bougie's in Florida (not as bonsai) and these not only perk up my winter, but they remind me of home. Here are a few pics!

IMG_3905.jpg
IMG_3904.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sarsonator, looks like a Pink Pixie ! No thorns and small Bracts. They will turn a bright pink when they come in fully, then when the white flowers show up in the bracts they are doubly beautiful !

ed

Last edited:

Sarsonator

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely correct, this is a pink pixie that I snagged at Meehan's a little while back. I am really excited to see the full bracts and the teensy little flowers. Won't be long now!

On a side note - anyone who needs a break from winter would do well to check out Meehan's Miniatures on a sunny day. When you're in the warm greenhouses, surrounded by blooming bougies and fruiting citrus trees, with the sun streaming down, you actually feel like you're in Florida. It was one of the highlights of winter for me! Plus, their trees are amazing.

I wanted to move in, but they said no. :p

Sarsonator

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now the bracts are more developed and I can see tiny flower buds. The suspense is killing me.

In other news, I have a couple tiny flowers on my bahama berry, and several buds on my grewia as well.

Sarsonator

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The flowers still haven't opened, but the bracts are pretty fully developed now. Here's a new pic, turned toward what I am thinking will be the new front, eventually. Disregard the not-so-awesome wiring. Bougies are a real PITA when it comes to wires.

I love the shade of pink on these flowers!

IMG_3915 by thesarsonator, on Flickr

Top Bottom