Winter Gem Boxwood

SerSwanky

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was inspired by @ShadyStump in his post: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/took-out-some-nervous-energy-on-my-new-boxwood.56340/ as I see them everywhere here in Washington at Lowes and Walmart. I've been trying not to love my other trees to death so I picked this one up for $24 at Walmart to distract myself. I know it's not an ideal time to repot a tree in the middle of the summer but....yolo dead trees?

Anyways usually the ones I see are all bean poles but I found one with a bit of movement in the lower trunk. I could use some advise on pruning the foliage. I know it's still too dense, I cleared up the lower half of it. I'm just not sure how much to trim off on the upper half. I want it to get sufficient interior light, most of the show boxwoods I looked up have canopy's that are full and aren't broken up into pads like on conifers so I didn't want to chop off too much yet without some input. Especially with it being mid summer and having read that boxwood are a bit like junipers needing their foliage.

Here's what it looked like to start. It looked pretty healthy, lots of green foliage, the flowers(?) fruits(?) had fallen turned brown and fallen off for the most part already but the roots were healthy and starting to circle the gallon pot. I trimmed off about a inch of the circling roots and picked up a quarter of the dirt. I left most of the dirt as you see in the picture, exposed more the trunk line, put it back in its plastic pot and filled it in with 50% pumice / 50% lava. I know the main trunk and branches are pretty straight after the initial movement of the trunk so its not ideal. But it should be good practice.

1657640917465.jpeg

Next I started trimming off some of the branches to expose the trunk line. I figured the four branches converging in the center would cause some inverse taper down the line so I chopped the two branches on the left off, put them in some rooting hormone and potted them in 100% pumice to see if they take. So it's a mother-in-law now.

1657641130392.jpeg

So here is where it stands currently. I ordered some cut paste to seal the cuts on some of the bigger branches. It arrives in a few days.

1657641283714.jpeg

In the next post I'll show some of the interior of the foliage.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it's a mother-in-law now.

Yeah it is!😜

Next time .....cut what you left and leave what you cut!

Forgive me, but my heart was broken in that thread, now this one too!
Even before viewing the pictures, my heart sunk at this typed verification of design death.....
I cleared up the lower half of it

In this notion that is..."always act with design and horticulture in mind simultaneously", design should always come first!

Ugly life is never as honorable as beautiful death.

Truth though......I'm not here to criticize nervous energy, better to ruin a $24 tree than pop $240 prescriptions!

The drawing board awaits you with open arms.

#swanklife

Sorce

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, @SerSwanky, I'm not certain I'M the guy to take inspiration from, but honestly, yours isn't looking too bad IMO.

I had decided I wanted to keep that lowest branch on mine, and the rest of the story in my head evolved from that. (Fancy language for I justified a risky artistic move to myself.) If it doesn't work out, it's a good spot for a sacrifice branch to thicken that trunk.
It's my first boxwood, and I pushed it HARD with less than ideal timing, so I'm not going to repot until spring. I also ran into the issue of finding so many branches starting at one node, so I just kept cutting. 🤦 THAT'S where it got away from me.
Seems you managed to maintain your self control, though, and made a decent start.

Don't mind @sorce. He's got a great eye, but doesn't always understand why everyone doesn't see what he sees but. I feel like he's so hooked on finding the fastest tree that he misses other long term opportunities or motivations.
Even if mine doesn't look like much for 10 or 20 years, it marked a HUGE personal learning moment for me as well as my bonsai. Totally worth it as far as I'm concerned.
I hope you feel the same.

SerSwanky

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah it is!😜

Next time .....cut what you left and leave what you cut!

Forgive me, but my heart was broken in that thread, now this one too!
Even before viewing the pictures, my heart sunk at this typed verification of design death.....

In this notion that is..."always act with design and horticulture in mind simultaneously", design should always come first!

Ugly life is never as honorable as beautiful death.

Truth though......I'm not here to criticize nervous energy, better to ruin a $24 tree than pop $240 prescriptions!

The drawing board awaits you with open arms.

#swanklife

Sorce

Just use some cut paste on that broken heart and you'll be good to go. I made it into the signature now though so that counts for something!

Well, @SerSwanky, I'm not certain I'M the guy to take inspiration from, but honestly, yours isn't looking too bad IMO.

I had decided I wanted to keep that lowest branch on mine, and the rest of the story in my head evolved from that. (Fancy language for I justified a risky artistic move to myself.) If it doesn't work out, it's a good spot for a sacrifice branch to thicken that trunk.
It's my first boxwood, and I pushed it HARD with less than ideal timing, so I'm not going to repot until spring. I also ran into the issue of finding so many branches starting at one node, so I just kept cutting. 🤦 THAT'S where it got away from me.
Seems you managed to maintain your self control, though, and made a decent start.

Don't mind @sorce. He's got a great eye, but doesn't always understand why everyone doesn't see what he sees but. I feel like he's so hooked on finding the fastest tree that he misses other long term opportunities or motivations.
Even if mine doesn't look like much for 10 or 20 years, it marked a HUGE personal learning moment for me as well as my bonsai. Totally worth it as far as I'm concerned.
I hope you feel the same.

Yeah and I knew it wasn't a great time to do it, so fingers crossed ours pull through! I'll hold off on repotting mine as well until spring, I don't think I did anything too drastic to it...yet. I'm just undecided on how to proceed with the top half when I do prune it further. I know the responsible decision would be to wait. I figured it could take a bit more abuse this season before leaving it alone until next summer. The canopy seems too dense and I'm not sure how to proceed on thinning it out. Where all those branches meet in the middle I'm sure I need to thin that out so it doesn't inverse taper, right? Keeping the branches staggered, no Y shapes, crossing etc etc. while maintaining a single canopy?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah and I knew it wasn't a great time to do it, so fingers crossed ours pull through! I'll hold off on repotting mine as well until spring, I don't think I did anything too drastic to it...yet. I'm just undecided on how to proceed with the top half when I do prune it further. I know the responsible decision would be to wait. I figured it could take a bit more abuse this season before leaving it alone until next summer. The canopy seems too dense and I'm not sure how to proceed on thinning it out. Where all those branches meet in the middle I'm sure I need to thin that out so it doesn't inverse taper, right? Keeping the branches staggered, no Y shapes, crossing etc etc. while maintaining a single canopy?
I'm no expert, so if someone else comes along with something better listen to them, but a thing to remember is that to create the right proportion you want to leave the thinner branches and cut the thicker ones.
I started by finding one thick branch I knew had to go, then worked from there.
I don't have a decent 3d view like you do, but I'll say start with the biggest branch from the one node. It'll likely leave a gap in the canopy. Choose your next cuts based on what will fill it in best in subsequent seasons. Remember you're filling from the bottom, not the side.

Top Bottom