Winter hazel in zone 10a - mistake?

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a winter hazel without doing enough research. Will zone 10a get cold enough in winter to produce spring flowers at the right time? I plan to protect it from summer heat.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Witch hazel needs winter chill to achieve full flowering. For best results, temperatures must be under 45 degrees for a certain number of hours. While an evergreen background makes their color more visible, avoid planting in too much shade or the plant becomes straggly and flowers will suffer. They flower better when planted under deciduous trees so they are exposed to winter sun.

The search terms to use are “winter chill” or “chill hours” or “chill requirement”

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Short answer, plant's probably not going to live long. Witch Hazel (which includes winter hazel) is generally considered hardy to Zone 5-8. One variety is more heat tolerant to Zone 9. Zone 10 is going to be challenging. Look for the plant to live for a few years, gradually weakening and then dying. Your mileage may vary but Zone 10 is almost tropical. The plant has "winter" in its name for a reason...

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought a winter hazel without doing enough research. Will zone 10a get cold enough in winter to produce spring flowers at the right time? I plan to protect it from summer heat.
Wasn't it's name enough research ;)

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wasn't it's name enough research ;)
I was swept away in the moment. The tree is now in Washington state. Hopefully, it can survive the 100 degree + summer days. I will be interested to see how the bonsai community copes with the future unpredictable weather.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was swept away in the moment. The tree is now in Washington state. Hopefully, it can survive the 100 degree + summer days. I will be interested to see how the bonsai community copes with the future unpredictable weather.
sell it to me

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, gave it to my son-in-law.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Winter hazel (Corylopsis) is a different species and not the same thing as witch hazel (Hamamelis), despite being "hazels".

I will not pretend to be the 🤓 and will leave it to you to use your favorite search engine to learn the differences and any other info that might be of interest to you.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yup.. #ClimateCrisis.

Top Bottom