Winter Images

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I took a bunch of pics today of my deciduous trees for record keeping purposes and thought I would post them up to get some feedback. Please feel free to offer advice, criticism, ridicule, whatever. You won't hurt my feelings. I want to make them better in 2019.

I'll start with what I think is my best tree. This is a water elm that I've been working on for about 3 years now. I feel like it's getting pretty good but the lower branches need more ramification. It doesn't have much of a nebari but it has a cool shari near the base. I don't know what, if anything, to do about that. It's getting a slightly larger pot this spring and I will continue to work on the branches.

Thoughts?

2019-01-01 14.07.42.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Next is my Water oak. The growth on this is a little coarser and I like it a lot better in leaf. I let the top get out of control a little in 2017 and it has gotten too thick up there I think. I'm not ready to cut it off and start over yet though. I've also considered removing the upper part of that lowest right branch but every time I go to do it, I think it maybe adds some character, and I stop.

This tree is also getting a new, bigger pot in the spring. In fact, the pot that it's currently in will go to the water elm above.

2019-01-01 14.06.07.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In regards to the water elm. I think the image would benefit from some branches trained to obscure the top half of trunk, that looks very open and bare atm. i like the tree, those changes would enhance the natural look it already has.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
very natural, i love these a lot. especially the american elm. seems like that right branch might make it too symmetrical, but i guess that's 100% just a matter of one's own taste

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think if you put some time into really wiring these out you’d have some pretty good winter images. Nice work, but with wiring you will see a big change I thInk. Thanks for sharing these ?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
very natural, i love these a lot. especially the american elm. seems like that right branch might make it too symmetrical, but i guess that's 100% just a matter of one's own taste

I think so too. It probably needs to go but there's no rush. I may leave it for a while and see what happens.

Reactions: GGB

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think if you put some time into really wiring these out you’d have some pretty good winter images. Nice work, but with wiring you will see a big change I thInk. Thanks for sharing these ?

Thanks Judy. I wired out the water elm last year, including every single twig. It took me probably 8 hours over several days to apply all that wire. I think the tree definitely took a step forward because of that, but it might be a once every few years type of thing for me.

Top Bottom