Winter in Los Angeles

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
So I am relatively new to tropical plants and bonsai in general. My dad is into the hobby but only has conifers. I have a ficus benjamina and a lavender star flower - both healthy and fine - and am wondering if I have to bring them inside in the winter. I live by the beach and it never freezes but can get a bit under 50 at night. Lows get down to 46-48 here in winter. Should I plan to move indoors when temps get down like that?

thanks…just planning ahead.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can compare the USDA zone for where you live and the hardiness zone for the plants that you have to get an idea. Looks like LA ranges from zone 10-11 while the Ficus is hardy to zone 10 and the star flower is hardy to zone 9, so it seems like they should be able to stay outside all year. If it gets particularly cold, you could bury the pots or put them on the ground to keep the roots warmer.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
yeah August has been relatively cool so far up here. Of course the heat is going to kick up as soon as I leave on vacation...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Climate Change is Real.

"climate change" is fake.

Sorry that bothers me, I'd be prepared for colder

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had ficus in my landscape in Orange County, and I was about five miles from the coast. I can only recall one year that the weather got cold enough for my trees to drop a few leaves at the very top... but then they grew right back.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have kept my ficus out in temps down to the high 30's with no ill effects. They don't grow, but they don't die.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ficus hedges and trees everywhere in Palm Springs. Occasionally a night of freezing temperatures with blacken the tips, but they pull out of it in no time. This is landscape material in SoCal.

Top Bottom