Winter is about to give us a shake down, yet...my mind is on spring

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We are prepared, with gas cans for the generator, and propane for heat in the cold greenhouse. As we await this storm that is to hit. Ingredients to s'mores and hotdogs and buns to make use of the fireplace as well to make it more fun.
image.jpg

That said, we had previously seen a long stretch of mild weather for winter...and I got weak, added an exposed root forsythia to the mix...then...thanks to Martin @thumblessprimate1 I have also added this to the mix. An exposed root Toyo Nishiki quince. We discussed it and decided it best to wait until my spring. So something to look forward to...as we brace for this snow storm to hit us.

I see cut backs...and more development. But I have always admired their blooms. ☺️

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I feel your pain. We had a lot of snow last weekend. They've changed this weekend to freezing rain, then snow. Snow, you can drive on. Ice just sucks. We've been watching a lot of "Bahama Life" on TV...................I could always sell shell necklaces on the beach.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I feel your pain. We had a lot of snow last weekend. They've changed this weekend to freezing rain, then snow. Snow, you can drive on. Ice just sucks. We've been watching a lot of "Bahama Life" on TV...................I could always sell shell necklaces on the beach.
We had ice earlier in the week...hate ice. We still have snow from the last batch that came. But nothing like you had. We just lose our power so often with these. Gas stations were full of ones preparing for their generators. I don't do sand...hot or wet, so you would have no competition from me.

D

Deleted member 21616

LOL! i wish that’s what we were getting here in Quebec!

we’re getting 12-18” (30-45cm) of snow, and -30F (-35C)

D

Deleted member 21616

Yikes! You love there...why? Lol just teasing.

hahah! It’s been -25-30F for a week now, and between -15F and -30F for a month. My 9 minute walk to work feels like an eternity, and a struggle to survive. At that temp your face hurts. But when i get to work, that hot coffee is all the better. Pendulum swing

I know this sounds crazy to a lot of people, but i (and a lot of us) really ‘enjoy’ shoveling snow. You know that caricature of an american sitting on his john deer really happy/proud to be cutting his grass? A lot of us are like that, but for snow

i wouldn’t move out of quebec for anything in the world (the weather is admittedly not my top reason for staying....LOL)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
hahah! It’s been -25-30F for a week now, and between -15F and -30F for a month. My 9 minute walk to work feels like an eternity, and a struggle to survive. At that temp your face hurts. But when i get to work, that hot coffee is all the better. Pendulum swing

I know this sounds crazy to a lot of people, but i (and a lot of us) really ‘enjoy’ shoveling snow. You know that caricature of an american sitting on his john deer really happy/proud to be cutting his grass? A lot of us are like that, but for snow

i wouldn’t move out of quebec for anything in the world (the weather is admittedly not my top reason for staying....LOL)
I recall the winter we had -27F without wind chill factored in. Painfully numb to the face...and ones lungs hurt from breathing the air. But...if it's what one is used to. I could not imagine not living where we didn't get snow. Winter wonderland walking through the woods where no man has ventured.

D

Deleted member 21616

Winter wonderland walking through the woods where no man has ventured.

I can't tell if it's what you meant, but there certainly is a 'renewal' of an environment or space when it snows. Even walking down my own street, after a fresh snowfall, when there aren't any tracks in the snow there is a sense in which you're walking where nobody have before. Its hard to explain, but there is a sense in which the space has been renewed. squirrels seem to roam sidewalks, lawns and garbage cans as though they're doing it for the first time, even though--to the squirrels--its just business as usual. we seem to project that feeling onto the routine behaviour of the squirrels and view their comportment in that new light. its all very interesting, or maybe i've just read too much merleau-ponty

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I can't tell if it's what you meant, but there certainly is a 'renewal' of an environment or space when it snows. Even walking down my own street, after a fresh snowfall, when there aren't any tracks in the snow there is a sense in which you're walking where nobody have before. Its hard to explain, but there is a sense in which the space has been renewed. squirrels seem to roam sidewalks, lawns and garbage cans as though they're doing it for the first time, even though--to the squirrels--its just business as usual. we seem to project that feeling onto the routine behaviour of the squirrels and view their comportment in that new light. its all very interesting, or maybe i've just read too much merleau-ponty
I get that same feeling walking on the beach, early in the morning, after the tide has erased all of the footprints from the day before. But I can wear shorts and flip-flops.;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mild temperatures in TN all week. We will be going down to around 22F and with all the rain things will freeze...but then next week will be mild-ish. I just hope we get some dry days soon. Standing water in the back yard is no good.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Haven't measured the snow...we had rain for most part of yesterday, snow didn't start falling until late last night. Then we had whiteout conditions. We have a state plow flipped over, roads closed...a semi flipped over. I don't feel we were put on a state level though. But asking ones to just not go out if you don't have to. Drifting snow has main roads down to one lane in several areas. Making it hard to get though...and ice under the snow. But no double digits in accumulation...because of it coming in as rain...then sleet.

Top Bottom