winter is coming and I need advice

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
hello i am somewhat new to bonsai. ive been buying indoor trees and i recently bought outdoor trees. winter is coming and I live in New york. what is the best option for my outdoor bonsais? should i bring them inside? do i keep them outside? any advice would be great.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was guessing Philly.

Welcome to Crazy!

You may want to exchange the white pine. I'd post a pic.

Now is not a good time to add to an outdoor collection for a newb.

Lessin you want to practice styling some cheap stuff that you don't mind dying.

Have a look here for inspiration.
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/fall-contest-2016-an-honest-balance.24716/

And while I'm at it, if you need a source for good bonsai things, all these vendors are beyond Excellent.
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/fall-2016-contest-sponsors-prizes.24696/

New York throws down here!
Even the Newbs!

A game Bro!

Sorce

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
why is now a bad time to add to an outdoor collection? i would love to keep this pine tree alive. should i bring it inside until the winter is over? i will post a photo tomorrow when it it bright out

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do not bring it inside. It is an outdoor tree and needs cold so it gets a proper dormant period.
You do need to protect from excessive wind and extreme cold.

The best options to winter an outdoor tree on Long Island are

An unheated shed or garage. With both of these methods, you need to check your tree for watering needs at least once a week and water when necessary (when the soil is almost dry).

Mulched against the foundation of the house, preferably the northern or eastern side. The residual warmth coming from the foundation will help keep the tree at a good temperature.
You can use pine bark chips as mulch and you can use leaves as mulch. I have a couple of trees that are too tall for my coldframe mulched against the north side of my house in leaves.
Ideally you can get some plastic landscaping fence and a 3-4 metal fence posts. Make a little fenced in area against your house. Put the trees in and fill in around the trees with leaves.
Be careful not to break any branches when you do this.

Top Bottom