Winter is coming need advice on my maple

shawne23

Seed
Reaction score
Please give me some help
Have I over watered my maple it is coming in to winter over here in Australia just need to get some help to make it through winter

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Not much you can do now. Whatever is done is already done going into winter. Best option would be to keep the pot slightly on the dry side as much as possible. Definitely do not sit it on the ground. A good airy position helps keep fungal infection at bay so up on a bench, even sitting up on a wire stand above the bench if possible and open to any wind that may come through.

We could also do with some more info to help with any advice.
Location - what part of Aus?
What makes you think it has been overwatered and for how long?
Where is the pot usually kept?
Pictures of the tree now, including the pot and potting mix, and some close up shots of trunk and smaller branches may even help some more experienced people pick some things you have not seen.

I would repot, depending on location, toward the end of winter to try to remove any infected roots and give it better soil/air mix for next spring and summer.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I always pictured Australia as a dryer always warm location. Sort of desert tropical. I didn’t think in terms of winter and snow. I thought dry season and wet season.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I always pictured Australia as a dryer always warm location. Sort of desert tropical. I didn’t think in terms of winter and snow. I thought dry season and wet season.
It's a big place so lots of different climate zones which is why I asked for the location. South has cool, wet winters (though not cold like much of USA cold) and warmer, drier summers. Far north is close to tropical with definite wet and dry season though little change in temps. Trying to grow Japanese maple up there is futile though higher on the tablelands there are places with definite cool winters where growers can keep temperate species.
A friend living in the higher elevations of the great dividing range has to protect bonsai from regular snowfalls through winter but that's a very small part of the country and there would be many Aussies who have never seen snow in person.
Ocean moderates coastal climates so close to the coast frost is rare and summer temps don't get anywhere near as high as inland.
Most coastal areas get good rainfall except some of the west coast which is drier.
Further inland it gets drier and hotter in summer. Some inland areas are almost desert.

You can see there's quite a lot of variation which dictates what species we grow in different parts of the country.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's a big place so lots of different climate zones which is why I asked for the location. South has cool, wet winters (though not cold like much of USA cold) and warmer, drier summers. Far north is close to tropical with definite wet and dry season though little change in temps. Trying to grow Japanese maple up there is futile though higher on the tablelands there are places with definite cool winters where growers can keep temperate species.
A friend living in the higher elevations of the great dividing range has to protect bonsai from regular snowfalls through winter but that's a very small part of the country and there would be many Aussies who have never seen snow in person.
Ocean moderates coastal climates so close to the coast frost is rare and summer temps don't get anywhere near as high as inland.
Most coastal areas get good rainfall except some of the west coast which is drier.
Further inland it gets drier and hotter in summer. Some inland areas are almost desert.

You can see there's quite a lot of variation which dictates what species we grow in different parts of the country.
Thanks. I really appreciate your knowledge sharing. Goofy I know, but my vision of Australia was probably patterned after the Crocodile Dundee character's outback adventures.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And as @Shibui recommended….putting your location will be highly helpful.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Contrary to what the board game "Risk" may have us believe, Australia is actually a giant country with a number of micro-climates. It's not always beach and throwing shrimp on the barbie.

Top Bottom