Winter Jasmine first potting Progression

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is going to be my first time working with these but have to give a shout up to @Cadillactaste for first showing me these. :)

Packaging from the nursery could of been better but the roots looked great and shouldnt skip a beat. After the roots have time to get alittle set I might add some light wire to start working on spacing.

20200327_141733.jpg

20200327_144535.jpg20200327_150626.jpg

Attachments

• 20200327_150626.jpg
    20200327_150626.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 1

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Did you leave the nursery soil in the roots when you repotted?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Some yea, I did take it down alittle from the picture but I was probably trying to baby it some too.
I get it. Just the last couple repots I've done, the soil was heavy and not draining well and I felt a need to get it all out.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yea, this was packed vary lightly. I probably could of just held it and shook it all out. Should be easy enough for the roots to push.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yea, this was packed vary lightly. I probably could of just held it and shook it all out. Should be easy enough for the roots to push.
If you just did this yesterday, then you have time to gently remove it from the soil and get the old soil out still. All you need is a hose with a strong spray and it'll get out almost all of that old soil. The point is not the roots to push out of it, but to get old muck out of the center of the roots, so there is no rot of the root core. It should all or almost all come out with a spray of water, and that won't rip the roots up. Next time, think about doing the wiring before you repot the tree, After you repot, you won't be able to wire for months, as if you do, it will tear up any new roots trying to grow when you inevitably move the trunk around while wiring. If you wanted to, you could do some light wiring right now (if you tied it into your pot well enough) since the new roots aren't growing, then pull it out and repot again. Just my thoughts.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you just did this yesterday, then you have time to gently remove it from the soil and get the old soil out still. All you need is a hose with a strong spray and it'll get out almost all of that old soil. The point is not the roots to push out of it, but to get old muck out of the center of the roots, so there is no rot of the root core. It should all or almost all come out with a spray of water, and that won't rip the roots up. Next time, think about doing the wiring before you repot the tree, After you repot, you won't be able to wire for months, as if you do, it will tear up any new roots trying to grow when you inevitably move the trunk around while wiring. If you wanted to, you could do some light wiring right now (if you tied it into your pot well enough) since the new roots aren't growing, then pull it out and repot again. Just my thoughts.
Of course your right, I know. 😁

Was being needlessly apprehensive about how much to take. I'm glad I went back for the second pass, thank you. As for wiring, I'm not worried about letting it go for now. I have some ideas I want to guide it towards but I want to see how it's growth is too.

20200327_141733.jpg

20200327_144535.jpg

20200328_105339.jpg

20200328_110052.jpg

20200328_110541.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good job. That arrangement of the roots should come out well with a few years of development. As you get more used to doing this, you will find that you can trim your roots back pretty strongly to get more division on the thicker ones, and make your nebari even better. Getting them to be flatter will be something to also work toward. Some plant on a board or other flat surface. But it's great you got all that old soil out.

Top Bottom