Winter Lighting

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have the Spider farmer single unit with no dimmer. It is very bright and was my first spider farmer purchase. It died a couple of nights ago from unknown reasons.
They asked me to send a video of the light to them so I did. They are sending me a replacement.
Having said that I do like the dimmable ones better.
Also don’t touch the led lights when the unit is plugged in- it’s shocking.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had the idea that these lights would be higher and I could get around and under them. But now I see I will have to raise them to move anything.
Keep in mind that those distance figures given are basically for optimal growth of cannabis. For keeping my indoor plants, they do fine with more distance using quality lights. I am keeping some plants as much as 5 feet from the light source. This setup is on its 6th year now. It shows up a few times on other posts.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Keep in mind that those distance figures given are basically for optimal growth of cannabis. For keeping my indoor plants, they do fine with more distance using quality lights. I am keeping some plants as much as 5 feet from the light source. This setup is on its 6th year now. It shows up a few times on other posts.
Thanks, that is an important point. I found a table of light requirements for various household plants (link below). It lists 3 categories, "Good Growth", 'Min. for Maintenance', and "Commercial Light Levels". The PPFD levels (µmol/s/m²) listed for Ficus benjamina are 160, 80, and 400-1200. My only larger ficus in refinement is a F. benjamina, so I'd like to get it into the higher PPFD range to keep and develop ramification. The bigger F. microcarpas could probably grow fine at the low end of the commercial or "good growth" values for the F. benjamina.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, that is an important point. I found a table of light requirements for various household plants (link below). It lists 3 categories, "Good Growth", 'Min. for Maintenance', and "Commercial Light Levels". The PPFD levels (µmol/s/m²) listed for Ficus benjamina are 160, 80, and 400-1200. My only larger ficus in refinement is a F. benjamina, so I'd like to get it into the higher PPFD range to keep and develop ramification. The bigger F. microcarpas could probably grow fine at the low end of the commercial or "good growth" values for the F. benjamina.

Very nice list that concurs with personal observations over several years. Your own observations of requirements for F. benjamini and F. microcarpa are spot on.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For me, the Mi Grow channel on youtube is basically the go-to for LED
Thanks, I’m learning a lot. I wish I would have watched more reviews. I already went with Spider Farmer and a 100W ViparSpectra.

But these 300W ViParSpectra look awesome. I like how sturdy and protected they look. Plus the folding sounds nice for summer offseason storage.
95E48508-F60F-4FDD-96F3-20383EFE2C8D.jpeg0FCC8019-752E-4D43-B7B2-F4486C1E4A32.jpeg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This Vipar P1000 is pretty sweet and at $80, seems to be on the more “reasonable” end of budget LEDs by reputable makers. It seems sturdy and protected. I could seed adding another one for a shelf type setup next year. The instructions have you set to lowest dim and then plug in, before turning up power. But set on timers this couldn’t be they are turned on ever time. Is there any info out there on not switching lights on at max wattage? Since external dimmers aren’t recommended for LEDs. It seems like on at full or the desired power is my only option on timers. Does anyone use a voltage stabilizer? Are there any voltage stabilizers with timers?

Thanks!
5299592A-D74E-406B-9326-6A6D478EE42B.jpeg6B252C51-F292-4BDC-9F02-D71C43D6AE9F.jpeg

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use barrina grow lights they work awesome for my tropicals which are BRT, ficus, porta afra, acacia, sweet plum, lime , lemon, tangerine, etc.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I use barrina grow lights they work awesome for my tropicals which are BRT, ficus, porta afra, acacia, sweet plum, lime , lemon, tangerine, etc.
Same ones I have, I'm very happy with them.

Top Bottom