Winter Lighting

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey Melospiza - mind sharing more information on your heating mat? What brand it is, how long you've used it and how even the heat distribution seems to be? Also how are you regulating the heat mat temperature?

I just moved to a grow tent for overwintering my ficus for this coming winter, but had to set it up in an unheated basement so I will need some supplemental heat and a heat mat looks like one of, if not my best, options.
I have this...have to get the thermostat with it though...kind of pricey,but safe and reliable.
Comes two sizes...they also have redi-heat that are slightly cheaper

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have this...have to get the thermostat with it though...kind of pricey,but safe and reliable.
Comes two sizes...they also have redi-heat that are slightly cheaper
Thanks for the feedback cmeg1, I know all about your indoor growing and appreciate your input. Afraid that's far pricier than my needs warrant. I'll be starting smaller.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the feedback cmeg1, I know all about your indoor growing and appreciate your input. Afraid that's far pricier than my needs warrant. I'll be starting smaller.
Its funny I never use the fkn thing either...go figure.
Beginner impulse buy,right

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hey Melospiza - mind sharing more information on your heating mat? What brand it is, how long you've used it and how even the heat distribution seems to be? Also how are you regulating the heat mat temperature?

I just moved to a grow tent for overwintering my ficus for this coming winter, but had to set it up in an unheated basement so I will need some supplemental heat and a heat mat looks like one of, if not my best, options.
Hey, the mat is in the garage right now, but it is a typical one from Vivosun you would find on Amazon. I have used it for 3 years now. I have the plants on an aluminium baking tray on top of the mat. The whole setup is inside my grow tent which keeps the warmth and light enclosed. I don't regulate the temperature, the mat just provides a gentle heating that warms the plant tent to 84 degrees. The room is usually at 70 degrees F. You could try one heating mat and see what temperature you get in the tent, and add additional mats if needed? Remember that non-LED light sources will also provide some heat.

I think the benefit of putting the heating mat below the plants is two-fold. First the roots are warmer and therefore more vigorous. Secondly, the water that collects below the plant while watering evaporates more quickly, reducing root rot and other issues.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Great on cost and heat too.....combined equivlant well over 1000 watts....electric bill never more than$150( was $90). And not terrible much heat considering.
Recently moved into large tent....note to self... do not make 90 degreeF walls when they are only 4 inches thick mobile home walls lol
looks dank!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Very good thread, wish I had seen that before
I tend to go with this one:
HLG 65 V2 4000K Horticulture Lighting Group Quantum Board LED Grow Light Veg & Bloom 4000K | Version 2 High-Efficiency Upgraded Samsung LM301B LED's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QDKVDZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6ETHXZ5KMNWXY4GXFNMY
Any recommendation for a better light for a small indoor operation (no tent, just Home Depot shelves)?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
HLG 65 V2 4000K Horticulture Lighting Group Quantum Board LED Grow Light Veg & Bloom 4000K | Version 2 High-Efficiency Upgraded Samsung LM301B LED's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QDKVDZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6ETHXZ5KMNWXY4GXFNMY
Any recommendation for a better light for a small indoor operation (no tent, just Home Depot shelves)?
Fabulous unit. Wish these lights were available when I bought mine some years back. I can't believe how much lighting has changed in 5 years and how much it continues to change even month by month.
I put this in my watch list and when I need to replace some lights I will consider this or new lights that have come along.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Honestly…….Two of these side by side will overlap and be very impressive for the price……probably achieve 400-600 par quite evenly which is perfect deciduous vegging light ……..evergreen too

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These are the BOMB w/dimmers
Cannot beat the price for a V3
And perfect size on shelves…..dimmer absolutely required on a depot shelf……as they come equipped.

I will always check this dudes store first

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are the BOMB w/dimmers
Cannot beat the price for a V3
And perfect size on shelves…..dimmer absolutely required on a depot shelf……as they come equipped.

I will always check this dudes store first

I will save this though at present I don't need any more lights.
I like this guys story and if I needed lights right now .... I would go here.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Honestly…….Two of these side by side will overlap and be very impressive for the price……probably achieve 400-600 par quite evenly which is perfect deciduous vegging light ……..evergreen too
@cmeg1 for these 1ft square LED boards (HLG 65 V2 4000K), what is the effective coverage area at the optimal height? I saw their diagram (below) that looks like for a 12"x12" board at 18", the PPFD drops below ~500 after at 4ft. I'm having trouble picturing much light escaping laterally of the board is only 18" up from the plant.

1665294966618.png
Hydrofarm Agrobrite Designer T5, FLP44, 216W 4 Foot, 4-Tube Fixture with Lamps - Amazon
@penumbra, same question on the vegative footprint for these 4 tube Agrobrite T5 fluorescents.

It is looking like my tropical space (mostly ficus) is going to be crowed at 5'x8'. That includes 3 larger trees with an overgrown 2ft diameter each. I'm trying to decide if 2-3, 4ft fluorescent (4 or 6 tube) will be enough or if I also need one hanging vertically on a side to get the sides of the ficus canopies. Or only one 6 tube, 4ft fixture and supplement with the smaller LED boards over the large ficus trees and smaller groups.

Thanks

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@cmeg1 for these 1ft square LED boards (HLG 65 V2 4000K), what is the effective coverage area at the optimal height? I saw their diagram (below) that looks like for a 12"x12" board at 18", the PPFD drops below ~500 after at 4ft. I'm having trouble picturing much light escaping laterally of the board is only 18" up from the plant.

View attachment 458634

@penumbra, same question on the vegative footprint for these 4 tube Agrobrite T5 fluorescents.

It is looking like my tropical space (mostly ficus) is going to be crowed at 5'x8'. That includes 3 larger trees with an overgrown 2ft diameter each. I'm trying to decide if 2-3, 4ft fluorescent (4 or 6 tube) will be enough or if I also need one hanging vertically on a side to get the sides of the ficus canopies. Or only one 6 tube, 4ft fixture and supplement with the smaller LED boards over the large ficus trees and smaller groups.

Thanks
With fluorescent lighting I keep the plants pretty close. I am not looking for a footprint at a distance. For this I use LED.
My 4 tube Agrobrite T5 units are only about a foot (at most) above the tops of the plants. In my seedling and cutting area, my twin tube T5 is about 8 inches from the plants.
My 100 watt Spider Farmer Quantum boards have an effective growing footprint of 3 x 3 feet at 36 inches but they are designed for cannabis growers. Depending on the plants and my actual intent my actual installed lights vary. Many of my plants I keep actively growing during winter , but many are just in holding and I am not looking for significant growth. So my distance and intensity for LED lighting varies from about a foot to about 6 foot.
Maybe I should care more about actual output etc, but I am just doing what works and making tweaks and adjustments over the past 15 years or so. Keeping it simple and watching the plants works well for me.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw their diagram (below) that looks like for a 12"x12" board at 18",
Whoops, wrong diagram. Correct one for the HLG is below. I think I see why @cmeg1 recommended overlapping, based on the output at 2ft.

D7B042F8-4E08-4D2B-B891-72D0A9958E88.jpeg
But now I’m more confused about the HyGrow diagram and what board size it references to get light out to 5ft?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My 100 watt Spider Farmer Quantum boards have an effective growing footprint of 3 x 3 feet at 36 inches but they are designed for cannabis growers. Depending on the plants and my actual intent my actual installed lights vary. Many of my plants I keep actively growing during winter , but many are just in holding and I am not looking for significant growth. So my distance and intensity for LED lighting varies from about a foot to about 6 foot.
Thank you. I feel a little bit like the grasshopper from the Aesop story for not having all this figured out by now! It looks like I have one more week before the tropicals stay in. Everything not-hardy came in and now I’m realizing that long term, I’d like to have fewer, nicer trees. Lol

It seems like LED would best fit my goals for adjusting light intensity based on the temps that I end up at this first year for the tropicals. I’m not sure if I will be warmer in active growth phases or cooler, more dormant. I’m looking now at Spider Farmer vs the HyGrow LED.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My 100 watt Spider Farmer Quantum boards have an effective growing footprint of 3 x 3 feet at 36 inches
What am I missing in comparing a 4 multiboard (SF4000) vs just using 4 single boards (SF1000 dimmable)? The SF4000 is 450W with 336-600 PPFD at 18" H on the edge of a 4'x4' footprint. But the SF1000 (which is 50% off on Amazon) is 100W with 372-420 PPFD at 18" H on the edge of 2'x2'. If I had 4 of those wouldn't that be comparable to the SF4000 and it would be 50W less power and $100 less purchase cost. Plus I could change the configuration in the future for less (and better) tropicals overwintering!

EDIT: I SEE NOW THAT THE $75 SF1000D DOES NOT HAVE A DIMMER AND POSSIBLY CAN'T BE DAISY CHAINED.
1665510556703.png
1665510749851.png

Last edited:

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What are the Pros/Cons of these multiboard setups vs the bar LED lights? Comparing just Spider Farmer. It looks like the SE3000 has ~800 less PPFD at the center and is only 3'x3' footprint vs the 4'x4' footprint of the SF4000. They are both 2.7 UMOL/J and the Samsung LM301B diodes. But the 4 board has 316 more diodes.

Are there other considerations in board vs bar setups?

Thanks!

1665511134522.png
1665511151579.png

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Usually, the very best high end lights are bar lights. I believe they get a better spread because they have empty space in-between the bars, while a quantum board basically has LEDs covering the entire board.
So the bar light should have less of a hot spot in the center, even though that seems kinda counter intuitive because you'd expect a hotpot right below the bar.

I would definitely buy a light that has a dimmer, if you are considering these types of boards.

For me, the Mi Grow channel on youtube is basically the go-to for LED lgiht reviews:

Maybe these two reviews answer your questions. They have actual independently tested data. Not just Amazon marketing numbers.
Though I think the numbers given by Spider Farmer's are usually about what they really are.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Usually, the very best high end lights are bar lights. I believe they get a better spread because they have empty space in-between the bars, while a quantum board basically has LEDs covering the entire board.
So the bar light should have less of a hot spot in the center, even though that seems kinda counter intuitive because you'd expect a hotpot right below the bar.

I would definitely buy a light that has a dimmer, if you are considering these types of boards.

For me, the Mi Grow channel on youtube is basically the go-to for LED lgiht reviews:

Maybe these two reviews answer your questions. They have actual independently tested data. Not just Amazon marketing numbers.
Though I think the numbers given by Spider Farmer's are usually about what they really are.
Thank you, that was very helpful. As an old guy, I forget everything is on YouTube! I like the price of the bar light and the idea that I could dismantle and store it in the summer. However, the board has a larger footprint and a higher optimal distance (19" vs 12"). In my brain, I had the idea that these lights would be higher and I could get around and under them. But now I see I will have to raise them to move anything.

I did search if I could put an external dimmer to LEDs and it seems that it is not advised or not good for the drivers. So much to learn!

Thanks all!

Top Bottom