Winter Preparation-What Do You Do

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Maybe I'v been lucky but 6 years straight I havn't done a thing other then move them to my shed if the temps get below 20 degrees - which is rare. Though I do like the idea of building a cold house.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got one that sits over the fence and taunts the shit out of my dog.

@mainefalconer where does one buy a redtailed hawk!?

I'm gonna lightsaber his Ass!

Sorce
I built this special Squirrel getting light saber a few years ago from a couple junk Ruger 1022's
If I can't get them in 50 rounds... I give up.
If I use low velocity CB caps it sounds like a pellet rifle with the longer bull barrel.image.jpeg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I built this special Squirrel getting light saber a few years ago from a couple junk Ruger 1022's
If I use low velocity CB caps it sounds like a pellet rifle with the longer bull barrel.View attachment 125399

Love those 1022's. Its crazy how accurate you can make them if you want to.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I build an enclosure using old doors as a windscreen against the north-facing foundation of my house. Lattice on top to keep the heavy snow out but lets lighter precipitation in for watering purposes. No sun from Oct to April helps moderate the temps. Pine straw around the pots which sit directly on the ground.View attachment 120577 View attachment 120578 View attachment 120579 View attachment 120580

I have read in several places to winterize the bonsai in a north facing location. But, I thought the cold winds are blowing from the north and the arctic chill gives the subfreezing temps etc. So my confusion is why north facing and why not south facing?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have read in several places to winterize the bonsai in a north facing location. But, I thought the cold winds are blowing from the north and the arctic chill gives the subfreezing temps etc. So my confusion is why north facing and why not south facing?
If you keep them in the shade they'll stay frozen all winter, if they get a lot of sun they'll go through a freeze/thaw cycle which is unhealthy for the roots.

Aaron

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe I'v been lucky but 6 years straight I havn't done a thing other then move them to my shed if the temps get below 20 degrees - which is rare. Though I do like the idea of building a cold house.

you don't need a cold house in Va. Beach...I keep posting this photo to "winter wimps" ;-)
Can't imagine why you'd need a coldhouse in Va. Beach. I have posted this photo a lot for "winter wimps" ;-) Bald cypress (La. collected 20 years ago), cedar elm, Japanese maple, amur maple. wisteria, boxwood, zelkova and more. 12-15 F. All the pots are on the ground covered by a foot or so of shredded hardwood mulch. Trees are in a shaded location out of the wind. They typically remain dormant until mid-April-ish, if I don't uncover them snow.jpg

Attachments

• snow5.jpg
    snow5.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 18

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Wintering temperate trees is all about keeping your trees dormant as long as possible while preventing damage from extreme cold and exposure to sun and wind while the tree's soil is frozen. As Aaron pointed out, a south facing exposure will virtually guarantee multiple freeze-thaw cycles through the winter which is far from ideal for root health. Trees can't transpire when the soil is frozen either, so both bark and foliage can be damaged from the sun. The north side of a structure provides winter shade and a subtle increase in ambient temperatures. Placing the trees against the foundation, mulching the pots and providing a wind break if necessary is a great way to winter trees that are cold hardy in your climate...unless falling snow from the roof will be an issue.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
you don't need a cold house in Va. Beach...I keep posting this photo to "winter wimps" ;-)

Can't imagine why you'd need a coldhouse in Va. Beach. I have posted this photo a lot for "winter wimps" ;-) Bald cypress (La. collected 20 years ago), cedar elm, Japanese maple, amur maple. wisteria, boxwood, zelkova and more. 12-15 F. All the pots are on the ground covered by a foot or so of shredded hardwood mulch. Trees are in a shaded location out of the wind. They typically remain dormant until mid-April-ish, if I don't uncover them View attachment 125433

If I had a cold house then mother nature could send me more snow - I miss the snow :(. Most likely what i'll do is build a simple frame with plastic top for those random cold snaps(belore 20), rather then moving them to the garage- less to move and ez'er

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I had a cold house then mother nature could send me more snow - I miss the snow :(. Most likely what i'll do is build a simple frame with plastic top for those random cold snaps(belore 20), rather then moving them to the garage- less to move and ez'er

Why don't you just mulch them on the ground? All that moving isn't worth the time and can influence root temps and growth quickly.

Mulch moderates temperature swings both ways. Cold snaps and warm spells don't matter if you've got a thick mulch bed around the roots. Temperatures are more constant.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Why don't you just mulch them on the ground? All that moving isn't worth the time and can influence root temps and growth quickly.

Mulch moderates temperature swings both ways. Cold snaps and warm spells don't matter if you've got a thick mulch bed around the roots. Temperatures are more constant.

yeah or that - stop being so reasonable, it's making me look bad :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not trying to do that. Just trying to make less work for you ;-). Here in Va. Zone 7 and especially southeastern Va. heavy winter protection is mostly unnecessary. Special buildings are especially unnecessary and can do more harm than good.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about an unheated crawl space? It's low 20s outside with teens coming. It's 40s in the unheated space under my house today.
Most are on the north foundation of the house but not mulched in yet. My bad. But put the tender stuff in small pots in the crawl space maybe?
They are all froze solid now.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about an unheated crawl space? It's low 20s outside with teens coming. It's 40s in the unheated space under my house today.
Most are on the north foundation of the house but not mulched in yet. My bad. But put the tender stuff in small pots in the crawl space maybe?

Get ready for albino growth in mid-march! My pardna' does this with Chinese Elms.....some Maples as well. Not really what you want, but their still alive, thru some 6 seasons or so.
Preferably, you like to see growth breaking in April, earlier is a hassle and it's tough to keep Maple leaves pretty 'till fall foliage time. I used to keep my ROR Trident down there......put it with my other trees on my porch/cold-frame and it never woke up. Meh!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This all depends on what your "tender" plants are. I suspect they're not "tender" at all. If they require dormancy, they're probably well able to withstand being mulched for the winter in the backyard for the winter. I have low twenties and single digits in my area most winters and dips into minus F temps some winters for at least a few nights in February. I've overwinter Southern species like bald cypress, cedar elm, as well as Japanese maple and Trident with only mulch in garden beds or cold pits.That BC has seen -10 F mulched in the covered cold pit several times over the twenty years I've had it.

The cold snap that's headed at us isn't going to last for more than a week. That's not that long. If you mulch now, the mulch pile will "lag" the warmer temps at the root zone for days. Mulch also taps into the earth's mass to maintain steadier temperatures at the root zone--which is why in ground trees are mostly impervious to deep cold for short periods. You are flirting with disaster moving trees around in the cold. Crawl spaces are very bad places for plants and trees.

Stop trying to keep your trees "warm" They don't need it or appreciate it.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
If I use low velocity CB caps it sounds like a pellet rifle with the longer bull barrel.View attachment 125399

No such thing as a junk 10/22. That is a fantastic gun!

Top Bottom