Winter Projection Theorycrafting

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

For those who follow Bjorn's YouTube channel or podcast, he talked a bit last year about building his deciduous garden and the large shade structure that was constructed over it. He mentioned that he was going to cover it in poly over the winter to essentially create a large temporary poly house. I never saw a follow up, but emailed him to ask about it. He told me that he ended up buying UV cut polycarbonate panels to cover the structure as it holds up better. Does anyone have any experience with a setup like this? It likely wouldn't work well for those of you in very cold regions, but in North Carolina we usually get above freezing every day even if it drops down to the teens at night. I could see this setup providing could wind and frost protection, but I would consider making the roof out of a solid material to prevent greenhouse effect and also to use a cheaper material.

Thoughts?

Lars

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few people I know have similar roofs over their trees in winter. Mainly to avoid excess water.
I am not sure you woul have to be concerned about greenhous effects unless the sides are closed too.

Top Bottom