Winter question for Zone 6B

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have read different methods of storing trees for the winter. I am in south central Pennsylvania. In the past I have sunk trees and pots into the ground. Now I have to many to do this.

Do you need to place these in mulch or just putting them on the ground ok?

I plan on putting my maples and elms on the ground under the benches and cover with pine mulch and then put plastic around the bench with the top open. The others including junipers and native oaks just on the ground under the bench.

Your thoughts?
I was nervous about the mulch and what crap might be in there. The mulch is currently down and has been rained on for almost a month now.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Use Pine Horse bedding from a Farm Supply, it sells cheap and it is pure pine.

Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I have read different methods of storing trees for the winter. I am in south central Pennsylvania. In the past I have sunk trees and pots into the ground. Now I have to many to do this.

I plan on putting my maples and elms on the ground under the benches and cover with pine mulch and then put plastic around the bench with the top open. The others including junipers and native oaks just on the ground under the bench.

Your thoughts?
I was nervous about the mulch and what crap might be in there. The mulch is currently down and has been rained on for almost a month now.

Under the benches, mulched with wood chips (you can get it free from tree services), with a burlap wind break...mulch the junipers and oaks, too. I'm not a big fan of planting in the ground as an over wintering technique...those occasional mid to late winter rain storms will fill the hole in the frozen earth with water...and it won't drain well.

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Your thoughts?
I think you will be fine with your plan. I have used brown pine needles from some big white pines in my yard. Rake em up and pack around your pots on the ground. I try to go up to the bottom branches but sometimes it is hard to reach. Then I put up wind protection, and the top is mostly open so rain and snow can keep things watered.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks all
I already have the mulch in under the table. You can see it under the tables in the below photos (old Photo)
2013-09-09_17-27-42_31_zps1bbe14f2.jpg

My one concern is what was in the mulch, but it has been out being rained on for the past few months so hopefully anything would be out. I also plan on putting up 4mil plastic on the front, sides and back of the tables and leave the top off.

I may use some barn straw I have to put on top of the tree pots instead of mulch. Thoughts?

Im just trying to use what I have at the house instead of buying more

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks all
I already have the mulch in under the table. You can see it under the tables in the below photos (old Photo)
2013-09-09_17-27-42_31_zps1bbe14f2.jpg

My one concern is what was in the mulch, but it has been out being rained on for the past few months so hopefully anything would be out. I also plan on putting up 4mil plastic on the front, sides and back of the tables and leave the top off.

I may use some barn straw I have to put on top of the tree pots instead of mulch. Thoughts?

Im just trying to use what I have at the house instead of buying more
Use the mulch. If it commercially bagged, you may have less probs than with stuff you get locally. Bulk mulch around here is made from ANYTHING that people like me drop off at the yard waste pile that gets ground up. I take all my trimmings and weeds that I dont want in my own compost bin.
Be sure you put the bottom of the pot on the earth and not just on a pile of mulch. The ground will moderate temperature swings a bit.
If you get much snow, I would leave some of the bench slats in place to catch some of the heavy snow. I actually have a 4x8 sheet of plastic lattice that covers my wintering area. It is supported by some 4x4s resting on the side frames (old exterior doors on their sides) that act as my wind protection.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Plastic to cut the wind. I was told to block the wind on the maples I have. So no one ever really helped me out so the only thing I thought of was plastic as a temperary wall.
Seeing what others use I guess I really dont need the plastic.

The mulch is bulk mulch I picked up with the truck. I am sure it has all kinds of junk in it. I was hoping that since it was out for several months many of the junk would be washed out. I also sprayed insect killer on the mulch when I first brought it home.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just thought about the sun. My setup is on the north foundation of my house, and it gets no direct sun from about Sept. to March. Sun just makes them warm up more than I'm comfortable with. In my eyes, the idea is to basically get them cold and keep them cold until nighttime temps are 50F-ish or higher. If the rootball freezes then thaws, and repeats this over and over during the winter, it might not be so good for the roots/tree. So if you have anything other than clear plastic to keep the wind out, you might want to try that instead, unless you have them in shade for the winter.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This year I am moving so all will be outdoors mulched, burlap around the sides, and IF needed at the new place shade cloth or landscape across the top. The saplings go in large storage ctns with holes drilled in the base, mulched in, and I will be able to use the tops when needed. It is not what we normally do but with moving and such it will cover needs for this year.

Grimmy

Top Bottom