Winter Silhouette Bonsai Show, Dec 4-5, 2021

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just checked and all the tables, both vendors and exhibits are full so hopefully there will be a lot to choose from. But you can still get a banquet seat!

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’d try to be there early and buy what you like right away as I don’t remember anyone pulling more trees out of the van later in the day.
That's likely the plan I'm going to follow. I already know before the show that I'm going to be there with money in my pocket and the intent to buy a tree, which is different than someone who went just to look around, but ended up making an unplanned impulse buy because they couldn't resist something right in front of them. That said, I plan on spending no more than $500 or so, but I can't say with 100% certainty if I would pass one by that cost $600 or $700 that really appealed to me or was unique in some way. There's a spending ceiling for me, but it's made out of mud as opposed to concrete.

The guys from Bonsai Learning Center nearby may be an exception since they can more easily haul in more trees on day 2.
I'm heading to the Raleigh area today and will be there through tomorrow. Would be nice if I could stop by the Bonsai Learning Center's facility and look at some trees while I'm out that way.

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looking forward to this as my first year attending it. Also will be nice to meet my fellow B-nutters in person. I won't be getting there till mid day Saturday so could you all please leave me something to buy at the vendors table? :)

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi all, enjoyed all the comments. A few quick questions about the show. Is it open to everyone? Or do I need to buy a ticket? Also, as for purchasing plants, which day would be better to go? I've never been to an official show, but I'm super excited to go. Thanks in advance 👍

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all, enjoyed all the comments. A few quick questions about the show. Is it open to everyone? Or do I need to buy a ticket? Also, as for purchasing plants, which day would be better to go? I've never been to an official show, but I'm super excited to go. Thanks in advance 👍
Its free as far as i know, I went midday on Saturday and missed out on a Rhode island Red that I would have bought but I still came away with a decent find, I could have easily spent 4 or 500 bucks on just trees. Be prepared to pay in cash as some vendors don't accept plastic.

Also don't touch the trees, people get pissed when you do that. I went in 2019 and was blown away. There is a Magnum PI costume contest the following weekend in Asheville I always enter in so I like to dress up on Saturday if weather permits, I got second place in 2019.

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Its free as far as i know, I went midday on Saturday and missed out on a Rhode island Red that I would have bought but I still came away with a decent find, I could have easily spent 4 or 500 bucks on just trees. Be prepared to pay in cash as some vendors don't accept plastic.

Also don't touch the trees, people get pissed when you do that. I went in 2019 and was blown away. There is a Magnum PI costume contest the following weekend in Asheville I always enter in so I like to dress up on Saturday if weather permits, I got second place in 2019.
Awesome, thank you. I just want to go get a nice tree and see all the beautiful bonsai😊👍.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is there any way to view the list of vendors prior to the show? As of today, I see they have 10 vendors on the waiting list, so I'm sure they wouldn't make the list available until closer to the actual date, if at all, but I was curious if they ever announce that info in advance. Someone already mentioned the Bonsai Learning Center will have a presence there, but I hate to randomly call retailers in the southeast just to ask if they'll be attending.

El Duderino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is there any way to view the list of vendors prior to the show? As of today, I see they have 10 vendors on the waiting list, so I'm sure they wouldn't make the list available until closer to the actual date, if at all, but I was curious if they ever announce that info in advance. Someone already mentioned the Bonsai Learning Center will have a presence there, but I hate to randomly call retailers in the southeast just to ask if they'll be attending.
Not sure if this helps any, but below is a list of the current vendors. This list was in the most recent email update about the show from Steven Zeisel.

People with Vending Tables (2)

Adams, Julian
Akins, Eli
Andrews, Luke
Boggs, Sonny
Brawley, Mike
Buechele, Ken
Bullock, Dean
Cartrett, Mike
Comstock, Mark
Ellis, Rick
Gross, Hank
Gutman, Ben
Hallatt, Ken
Heise, Randy
Huth, Ken
Lauer, Ed
Mercer, Bryan
Miller, Bradford
Monetti, Gabriele
Muth, Pauline
Racinski, Sandra
Paris, Dave
Pruski, Bob
Rhyne, Mark & Racie
Sherrod, Tyler
Skursky, Richard
Tran, Dat
Valavanis, William
Youtz, Andrew
Zeisel, Steven

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cool, thank you. I could have sworn I signed up to be on an email list of theirs. Awesome to see that Mr. Valavanis will be there. Would be doubly awesome if he's selling any trees that I'll be able to afford and purchase. 😆

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Cool, thank you. I could have sworn I signed up to be on an email list of theirs. Awesome to see that Mr. Valavanis will be there. Would be doubly awesome if he's selling any trees that I'll be able to afford and purchase. 😆
I bought a couple of little azaleas from his website this past spring. Affordable and shipping was included in the price.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
when I went in 2019 bill had plenty of trees still on sunday

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought a couple of little azaleas from his website this past spring. Affordable and shipping was included in the price.
I check the site pretty regularly, and the cheapest thing that's been on there lately (that isn't sold yet) is a small 15" high Shishigashira. They're asking $825 for that thing and it's not even on its own roots. Pretty disappointing to be honest. I totally respect Bill and appreciate what he's done for the bonsai culture in America, but name alone doesn't make that little tree worth that much money. Yes, there's value in the pot it's sitting in, but still. In this case, it says the price doesn't even include postage/packing/handling.

when I went in 2019 bill had plenty of trees still on sunday
Probably because he asks $825 for a tiny grafted Shishigashira. 😄

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having a plethora of options at the show. Can't believe it's only six weeks from tomorrow!

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My SUV's scheduled for service Thursday morning. Here's hoping I get it back before then.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wish I could, please take photos if it’s allowed! Last season of nutcracker for me, so next year!!!

HankDio

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Despite my relative proximity I will most likely not be there this weekend due to car issues, but it seemed like it will be quite the show. What a list of vendors.

Top Bottom