Winter Silhouette Bonsai Show, Dec 4-5, 2021

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I will, been excited for 2 weeks now. They canceled the Carolina expo at the arboretum so this is the only one I get to go to.

This coming weekend is the show......who's going?
I should be getting my covid pcr test results back in the next 48 hours and that will be deciding factor for me

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I will be there for shur.... 2x Moderna vaccines + 1 full Moderna booster... I am hoping that when I meet @Adair M that I can kiss him :)
Well i got my results back and im good to go, once you see Adair you will change your mind about that kiss. On a side note does anyone know if Joe Noga will be there?

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I don’t know what anyone looks like but maybe we will run into each other. I don’t plan on buying any trees, but some tools maybe akamdama and kanuma to try out. Oh and some pots for sure

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am about to go to bed to wake up for my 5 am departure down south (obligatory in-law visit beforehand) but I will be there. Taking the wife's hatchback so probably just leaving with some pots, not trees. hope to meet a few more of you, accidently or otherwise. I'm the super skinny 32 year old guy with terrible tattoos.

Attachments

• IMG_3582.jpg
    IMG_3582.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 9

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I will be there for shur.... 2x Moderna vaccines + 1 full Moderna booster... I am hoping that when I meet @Adair M that I can kiss him :)
I, too, have had all three Moderna shots. And, I’m looking forward to meeting you, @Bonsai Nut. But, I think “social distancing” is still more prudent than kissing at present…. Lol!!!

From the last email I got from Steve, I believe that masks will be required at the venue.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll be there with cash in hand! I have fought really hard during the last 2+ months to not spend big chunks of money on trees in an effort to save for the show, and it's finally here. Almost 100% sure I'll be coming home with a tree or two. I will only be there Saturday.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I’m kind of back and forth on a tree, but kind of taking a chance buying a tree with no leaves.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah I’m kind of back and forth on a tree, but kind of taking a chance buying a tree with no leaves.
That’s the best time to buy a deciduous tree! That’s when you can really see the structure! Why do you think the big Japanese shows, like Kokofu, are in the winter? So you can really see what’s there!

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s a good point. I guess buying from someone reputable doesn’t hurt either. I think mark comscott will be there so I know there have been enough talk about him here

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a great time to buy a deciduous tree as @Adair M said because you can see it’s structure/flaws with nothing to hide behind! The only thing you can possibly get skunked on is the leaf characteristics. I am sure all the sellers are reputable, so you shouldn’t get a verigated tree, or something that is mislababeled (e.g. an American Hornbeam vs a Korean Hornbeam).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's exactly the opposite. Deciduous trees are BEST seen with no leaves. You can't hide flaws on deciduous trees for that reason. Those errors stand out. Pines are bendy and flaws can be hidden with needle-covered branches bent to conceal...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Bonsai Nut did you come up with an idea how to figure out BNut members?

I'll be wearing a dark grey Alpinestars hoodie, maybe I'll write my name on a piece of blue painters tape?
That's actually exactly what I was planning to do. I'm going to be wearing a blue bonsai t-shirt, and I'll write my name on blue painter's tape, plus I'll put the web site on a second piece of tape.

Top Bottom