Winter Silhouette Bonsai Show, Kannapolis, NC - Dec 7-8, 2019

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is there a rule to the spacing of where an accent plant must be in between the primary and secondary plants in the display? Or is it just personal preference?
Oh, my! There’s a great deal of deliberation that goes into it. There are SO many factors!

Things to consider: the relative size of the accent. The “movement” of the accent. Which tree is the accent highlighting? The movement of the entire display. The color, shape and size of the jita under the accent...

Of course, it does finally come down to personal preference in the end.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
That evergreen tree is marvellous, but it does go to show that taper is not the be all and end all.

mach6

Sapling
Reaction score
@William N. Valavanis I really love this tree, and there seems to be some maple-master techniquery going on here (with regards to trunk development)? Could I ask if you might please be willing to share some pictures/details about its development?

Very very interested in learning about this one :)

Attachments

• IMG_4809.JPG
    IMG_4809.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Check out my blog at:

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 9.56.58 AM.png23.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@William N. Valavanis I really love this tree, and there seems to be some maple-master techniquery going on here (with regards to trunk development)? Could I ask if you might please be willing to share some pictures/details about its development?

Very very interested in learning about this one :)
I can assure you that it was NOT developed by “hedge pruning”! Lol!!!

mach6

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing @William N. Valavanis :)

I can assure you that it was NOT developed by “hedge pruning”! Lol!!!

Haha definitely!!

What caught my attention was the transition from white to green bark (and less so but also the scar just below it). I thought that the discrepancy in color might be discrepancy in age, so it seemed to me like the Oto Hime upper trunk was not grafted onto the lower trunk by an ordinary maple nursery (since this would have been done when the components were 2-3 years old as usual, and wouldn't account for the age gap that i was imagining! LOL) But it turns out that the graft goes back to at least 1986, to my surprise!

I was initially wondering if Bill 'ebihara'ed' the upper Oto Hime part on the lower at some point? Or (given the scar on the front) whether this was a very tall tree at some point, and Oto Hime was eventually scion/thread grafted onto that tall trunk, and then the tall trunk removed (...but that scar on the front is so beautifully healed, it must be very old!)

what also caught me eye was the well developed low-right branch, which must be the same cultivar as the upper part of the tree, but occurs below the graft line. sure it was grafted, but the timing of that graft is what interested me. This branch must not have been there when Julian bought the tree in 1986 (if it came from an ordinary maple nursery, since they don't normally 'waste' their time like that), but the branch must have been added by him with great foresight. brilliant!

all in all the tree is a bit of a puzzle, but an exceptionally beautiful one that must have been developed with techniques that interest me a lot 🤓

I wish i knew what happened before 2011 LOL but the mystery is fun to think about

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh, my! There’s a great deal of deliberation that goes into it. There are SO many factors!

Things to consider: the relative size of the accent. The “movement” of the accent. Which tree is the accent highlighting? The movement of the entire display. The color, shape and size of the jita under the accent...

Of course, it does finally come down to personal preference in the end.
Well one day when I finally am able to have good enough stuff to enter a show, I hope you will still be around to give me advice on my display.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sorry to be late to this party but enjoyed the show greatly! Happy to see old friends and meet new ones. A great show with a good deal of variety of species as well as display approaches. Congrats to Adair for his wonderful display and all the other winners. Many thanks as always to Bill and Steven Zeisel for their unique contributions in making this a great show every year!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to be late to this party but enjoyed the show greatly! Happy to see old friends and meet new ones. A great show with a good deal of species variety as well as display approaches. Congrats to Adair for his wonderful display and all the other winners. Many thanks as always to Bill and Steven Zeisel for their unique contributions in making this a great show every year!
Bring a tree with ya next time, ok? While we were all happy to see you, we’d all rather see your trees!

Lol!!! Obviously, just jesting!!! It was great to see you, and really, it speaks volumes about your love of bonsai for you to travel all that distance to see the show without entering a tree!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bring a tree with ya next time, ok? While we were all happy to see you, we’d all rather see your trees!

Lol!!! Obviously, just jesting!!! It was great to see you, and really, it speaks volumes about your love of bonsai for you to travel all that distance to see the show without entering a tree!

Thanks Adair and was great to see you as well! Will try next year. Not to use excuses but it has been an exhausting year for me and it was nice for once to take a brake and just enjoy the great show!

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Adair and was great to see you as well! Will try next year. Not to use excuses but it has been an exhausting year for me and it was nice for once to take a brake and just enjoy the great show!
it was good to meet you, you are definiteley better dressed than Adair but thats probably because he buys his clothes at Costco.

Top Bottom