Winter Silhouette Show

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can anyone tell me who showed that large OUTSTANDING JBP with the eagle scroll at the WSS show this weekend? That was the nicest JBP I've ever seen! Everything was outstanding.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That was a spectacular JBP. I don’t remember who showed it but I enjoyed getting to check it out

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That tree was amazing! The ramification was next level and imo the nicest tree in the show.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone have pics to share?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, @Adair M had a very nice JWP/lodgepole pine.

I believe the pine you are referring to was exhibited by Matt Robison.
Talking about Adair... where is he at? Haven't seen him here in a while and his profile says he hasn't logged in since 12 OCT.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I walked the show with him Saturday ...or parts of it. I can't say why he's not on bN, but his tree looked fantastic as you'd expect. I suspect we'll see more of him after his JBP work sessions.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Talking about Adair... where is he at? Haven't seen him here in a while and his profile says he hasn't logged in since 12 OCT.
I don't know why he hasn't posted recently. I spent a fair amount of time with him at the show, and even sat at the same table at the banquet.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know why he hasn't posted recently. I spent a fair amount of time with him at the show, and even sat at the same table at the banquet.
That's good to know!

toolpro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Matt Robison. He does all his own work and has never taken a class. By far the best pine in the show, but unfortunately did not get an award.

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This one, right? Stunning display. Not sure whose it was.

View attachment 464768
No, @Adair M had a very nice JWP/lodgepole pine.

I believe the pine you are referring to was exhibited by Matt Robison.

Matt Robison. He does all his own work and has never taken a class. By far the best pine in the show, but unfortunately did not get an award.
It didn't get an award?....HOW? It was the BEST tree there. The ramification on the tree was insane. The foliage was so perfectly green it looked plastic. I can't believe it.

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you know if he has any online accounts? I want to see more of his trees.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It didn't get an award?....HOW? It was the BEST tree there. The ramification on the tree was insane. The foliage was so perfectly green it looked plastic. I can't believe it.
There are a number of issues with the tree design and the display. I think the care of the tree was exemplary. Strong, beautiful, uniform. This is a case where I think it would be well worth it to ask a pro like Bjorn to come in and help him with design and display. For example, look what happens when I just clean up the tree design a little...

redesign.jpg

Last edited:

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There are a number of issues with the tree design and the display. I think the care of the tree was exemplary. Strong, beautiful, uniform. This is a case where I think it would be well worth it to ask a pro like Bjorn to come in and help him with design and display.
Very true. I personally don't understand the fundamentals of display myself. What do you think could have been improved over all?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very true. I personally don't understand the fundamentals of display myself. What do you think could have been improved over all?
I started to do a virt of the tree and kept changing it. @Adair M and I stood in front of the tree for a while and talked about it. As far as tree design goes, for such a powerful tree there really isn't a design. If you look at the foliage mass all you see is a green blob. There is no movement. There is no refinement. In fact, it is hard to tell where the apex is supposed to be, and you can't see the upper 1/3 of the trunk, so when I was doing my virt I was just making things up because I don't know where the trunk line is.

The pot is a soft, feminine pot for such a strong masculine tree. I think it should be bigger and stronger. The oak plank "stand" is not strong enough for the tree, and you lose the pot because (in addition to it being small) it is the same color tone as the stand. I think the suiseki is too small and I would replace it with a weak element to counter the tree... perhaps something thin and frail like beach grasses. The weakness catching your eye and balancing the display... whereas right now the black suiseki is lost. (granted the black tablecloth and black backdrop don't help a black stone stand out)

So if I am thinking these things... the judges are probably thinking them. When I looked at @Adair M tree, I did not have these concerns. Rather I enjoyed the display for what it was and how the elements worked. I might over time extend his descending branch a little more because right now it is too symmetrical (to my eye) but he disagrees :) So I will have to buy his tree and do it :)

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I started to do a virt of the tree and kept changing it. @Adair M and I stood in front of the tree for a while and talked about it. As far as tree design goes, for such a powerful tree there really isn't a design. If you look at the foliage mass all you see is a green blob. There is no movement. There is no refinement. In fact, it is hard to tell where the apex is supposed to be, and you can't see the upper 1/3 of the trunk, so when I was doing my virt I was just making things up because I don't know where the trunk line is.

The pot is a soft, feminine pot for such a strong masculine tree. I think it should be bigger and stronger. The oak plank "stand" is not strong enough for the tree, and you lose the pot because (in addition to it being small) it is the same color tone as the stand. I think the suiseki is too small and I would replace it with a weak element to counter the tree... perhaps something thin and frail like beach grasses.

So if I am thinking these things... the judges are probably thinking them. When I looked at @Adair M tree, I did not have these concerns. Rather I enjoyed the display for what it was and how the elements worked. I might over time extend his descending branch a little more because right now it is too symmetrical (to my eye) but he disagrees :) So I will have to buy his tree and do it :)
The “stand” caught my eye as well. Not in a good way 😝

Top Bottom