Winter Silhouettes Show - LA Arboretum, Jan 18 - 19, 2020

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Baikoen Bonsai Kenkyukai, “Winter Silhouettes”, 56th Annual Exhibition
Los Angeles Arboretum, Ayres Hall of Environmental Education, located at 301 North Baldwin Ave., Arcadia, CA 91007. Show hours on both days are 10am to 4:30pm. Deciduous bonsai in all their leafless glory are featured from club members and invited guests. The Nagata-Komai award winner will be announced, and there will be a demonstrator at 1pm on both days. There will be a sales area with club and vendor plants, pots, tools and more. For more information, please visit baikoenbonsai.com or email Ken Teh at kenwteh6@gmail.com

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just returned to Seattle from the Winter Silhouettes exhibition at the LA County Arboretum. It was interesting to see so many deciduous trees in one place! Several with fruits attached were especially enchanting - like the persimmon in the photo above. I ended up playing docent (even with my limited knowledge) to my family members, a friend and some randoms...so I couldn't just sit and stare at the trees as much as I would have liked. The most common question asked: "How old is that tree?" which I couldn't answer with anything more than a guess.

Suggestions for future shows: it would be fabulous to know an approximate age of the tree, who made the pot (local potter, Chinese, Japanese, etc.), how long in training as bonsai, is it yamadori/yardadori, and style of bonsai? I think only the species of tree was mentioned.

Lots of odds and ends for sale. Beauty shots were being taken of each tree - which on the larger species, gave people an idea of the massiveness of the entire tree with pot (some were quite large). I wasn't able to attend the demonstrations.

Top Bottom