winter storage at kaede bonsai and Seedling mega sale

Reaction score
I thought I'd post a few photos take at kaede bonsai last weekend. I've been working with Matt for 5-6 years now and this is the first year we had trouble locating space for everything.

Matt has a great collection of high end antique Japanese paottery, as well as what is likely the top collection of specimen trident maples in the US. He also has tons of seedlings. Quince, hornbeam, tridents, palmatums, Japanese red, white and black pines, pre-bonsai itoigawa etc. etc...He's offering 20% off seedlings if you use a promo code "bonsai" through www.kaedebonsai.com

Here are the pics:
DSC02393.JPG
DSC02396.JPG
DSC02400.JPG
DSC02405.JPG
DSC02407.JPG

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where, generally speaking, is Kaede Bonsai located? There seems to be no address or even general region listed on the website.

Thanks

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think Matt could spruce up his web site a little and he would get a better response.

(1) List an address and hours of operation and phone all in one easy-to-find place. Even if he is closed for months at a time (during winter) he should list this.
(2) On the home page, list specifically what he sells (rare bonsai seedlings, developed pre-bonsai, finished trees). Show at least one photo of 1000's of seedlings, and one photo of a nursery bench with nice trees.
(3) Fill in all the blank pages on the site with SOMETHING. Under the tab for "services", for example, is a blank page. It makes the site feel like its under construction, or worse yet, no longer active.
(4) Make it REALLY obvious what you need to do to buy something. I had no idea he sold nicer trees. What do I do if I live in Elgin and want a Trident maple from him? Call? Email? Visit?

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I emailed Matt. He very nicely said that the trees in those photos are his personal collection and not for sale.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I emailed Matt. He very nicely said that the trees in those photos are his personal collection and not for sale.

And we were all hoping those were for sale.... I know that I certainly assumed there had to be some trees for sale in there

Sad to hear none of them are for sale... however they are still beautiful to see :) :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Interesting points nut. I'm not sure they'd improve his response though, I Learned a long time ago to order early and get on the mailing list, he sells out of seedling stock every year, I ordered a week ago and could only get half the quince I wanted! He does offer specimen trees and nicey nice pots for sale sometimes, but I think it's mostly to freinds or customers on the mailing list.
http://japanesepots.wordpress.com/

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I spoke with Matt via email and he seems like a nice guy. I just want to emphasize that my points about his website are NOT trying to be malicious. Just my opinions about how to best use the web :) He apparently has all the business he can handle - he sells out of his stock every year! (Which is always a good sign!)

Top Bottom