Winter Storage- Cold Frame?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have two Chameocyparis and six dawn redwoods that are just whips (about 8 other whips consisting of bald cypress and European beeches that unfortunately do not seem like they are going to bud out) that I need to store overwinter. Considering adding a Cryptomeria this season as well. I know they all need to go into dormancy. I have shed space, a garage (separate location) and a basement at my fingertips. However was considering building a cold house as I think it would potentially be a little more ideal. Any thoughts? Was thinking along the lines of these.

988CA1AF-07DB-4BBA-A7BB-3F44F16595F0.jpeg9B79CAF2-7EB0-4E78-B8D5-F96F64F68282.jpeg

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep mine in the basement, it’s unheated. But I’m digging the 3rd pic, I may try something like that. Thanks for the ideas. You can usually find old windows on Craigslist cheap too, or a salvage place.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The windows are actually not necessary; the plants don't need any light. I keep mine in darkness over the winter. I just open it up once in awhile to let some snow in. And, I keep it on the north side of a wall so the sun doesn't touch it.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I over-Winter mine in a little shed that I got from Ocean State.
So far so good. LOL...

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you put the trees/plants in one of those cold houses and it got to cold, can one regulate the temp with those warming matts used to start seeds early?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you put the trees/plants in one of those cold houses and it got to cold, can one regulate the temp with those warming matts used to start seeds early?
There are some on this site who use warmers; I'm not that elaborate yet.
My experience here in zone 6b is that it's more important to keep the wind off the trees in the winter than to have a warmer.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My experience here in zone 6b is that it's more important to keep the wind off the trees in the winter than to have a warmer.

Exactly how it works best here too. I find the plants dry quickly with the winds if there is not a lot of snow and we don't normally. The combination of a dry bottom and a wind exposed plant here is just a recipe for death.

Grimmy

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
How do you guys reckon I would fare burying them in mulch and leaving in a protected area between two houses?

Top Bottom