Winter sun for dormant saplings, Kwanzen and Wisteria

Reaction score
Hi all. I have searched this on the internet, but I want to be very cautious. I have a Wisteria sapling, about 8”, and a Kwanzen, about 4’. The sender described them as dormant… no leaves at all. If the temperature is ranging from about 49-60f, what kind of light requirements do they have? And what if it gets warmer? Thanks in advance!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The time to be "very" cautious ended when they hit the mail.

If caution is time, which it is, compounded with worry, which it also is, you're always better off spending that time on more local material.

It's hard to drop a "need for the exotic" and replace it with awesomeness, until you realize the awesomeness.

All Hail No Mail.

Where did they come from?

Sorce

Reaction score
Haha I see your point. I have bought some classics, some inexpensive species, and some exotics. My first two purchases were made at a local nursery, well known, though not sure if I can mention business names…

These saplings were ordered from an Etsy seller. I have bought a few from various Etsy stores, and all arrived healthy and are doing well. It’s just that I don’t know how to gauge the health of these two plants, or how I should raise them. Still could use the advice haha I will be certain in the future that the plants are more mature!

Again point taken lol I am done with the online spree, will make some visits to local places.

Reaction score
The time to be "very" cautious ended when they hit the mail.

If caution is time, which it is, compounded with worry, which it also is, you're always better off spending that time on more local material.

It's hard to drop a "need for the exotic" and replace it with awesomeness, until you realize the awesomeness.

All Hail No Mail.

Where did they come from?

Sorce
Hey, apologies for not quoting when replying to your reply haha… and also, I would still appreciate if someone would answer my question 🙋 😆

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see you are in CA, and because much of that state is very warm I don't have a good answer for your plants needs. Dormant plants do not need light, but whether you supply light or not is a personal choice. I do because I try to work with nature as much as possible.
I don't know your climate, only that you live somewhere in CA with a Spanish name, so I assume it is So CA. It can be difficult to buy trees from one zone and adapt to another in the winter. The plants you bought are dormant and you want them to remain so through the winter. You need to assure they remain cool, so a cool shady area would be appropriate for now.

I hope someone from your area pipes in here. On the other hand, CA has several bonsai nurseries so a visit or a phone call may get the the information you require.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Northern temperate trees, like wisteria and Kwanzen Cherry need a winter dormancy. Up north, we use 12 to 16 weeks at temperatures between 32 F an 40 F. Time above 40 F is usually not counted (by humans) in figuring out how long to keep in a refrigerated area or outside where it is that cold or colder. This chill period will break winter dormancy. Less than 12 weeks below 40 F and it becomes a crap shoot as to whether or not dormancy requirements will be met.

With the wisteria, it is small enough to put in your refrigerator for 12 weeks. You could then plant it out 3 months later and it should sprout no problem.

With the cherry being 4 feet tall, about all you can do is plant it in the ground and cross your fingers. Corona del Mar, California is along the Pacific coast, south of Los Angeles. Which is probably too warm for the cherry to survive and bloom. But you may as well try. Just plant it in the ground. If it blooms, great. If it doesn't bloom, just grows, that may be okay, it might bloom in the future, or it might just slowly exhaust itself and die because it does not get cold enough in winter to give the tree a proper dormancy.

Look around at local landscape nurseries that are within a few miles of Corona del Mar. If they do not offer Kwanzen cherries, it most likely is because it is too warm to grow them in your area. If they do offer Kwanzen cherries, then they do likely live well in your area.

Just plant 'em and see what happens.

In the future, choose plants that are appropriate for your climate. If you are not sure what is appropriate, walk around your local botanic garden and see what they grow in their outdoor plantings. Also walk around local landscape nurseries and see what they have.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I’m your neighbor in HB. The cherry will likely be a no go here, You do however see some nice wisterias…..but in the ground.

If you ever get a chance to go to HB Library in HB Central Park. There is a large stand of cherries. They are on a shady hill in a perfect microclimate. All grafted trees. You can see the “necking” of the graft 5 feet off the ground. March/April every year they have the Cherry Blossom Festival there. Pretty amazing trees for socal.

Top Bottom