Winter Sun Mugo Pine - Browning tips, Blight?

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Like the title says, is this a sign of blight? It's showed up only on the needles on the upper half of the tree. Any ideas? Suggestions?
(The yellow tips are normal for Winter Sun)

Thanks,
image0.jpeg
Andrew

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yikes! Thats about the worst yellowing of needles Ive ever seen without the tree not being outright dead.

I have never seen yellow needles on any of my pines that were caused by "winter sun".
I have several mugos along with scots, JBP, JWP and pitch pines.
Its always been a fungus, scale damage, iron/nutrient deficiency, dehydration or root issues.

Its hard to tell exactly what it is honestly.
I think this is most likely a fungus, and looks like blight but Im not sure.

Closest thing I could find is: https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/managing_dothistroma_and_brown_needle_blight_on_pines

The good news is that the new growth looks fine.
Not sure what you can do for those needles now, but I would start a regular application of antifungal every year as a preventative.
This tree is severely compromised and all those yellow and brown needles will probably die and fall off.
I would do no work or repotting of this tree until it recovers. At least 2 years I think.

Hope there is someone that can offer a better suggestion as to what this is
Good luck with it.

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Winter sun is the type of Mugo Pine
Yikes! Thats about the worst yellowing of needles Ive ever seen without the tree not being outright dead.

I have never seen yellow needles on any of my pines that were caused by "winter sun".
Its always been a fungus, scale damage, iron/nutrient deficiency, dehydration or root issues.

Its hard to tell exactly what it is honestly.
I think this is most likely a fungus, and looks like blight but Im not sure.

The good news is that the new growth looks fine.
Not sure what you can do for those needles now, but I would start a regular application of antifungal every year as a preventative.
This tree is severely compromised and all those yellow and brown needles will probably die and fall off.
I would do no work or repotting of this tree until it recovers. At least 2 years I think.

Hope there is someone that can offer a better suggestion as to what this is
Good luck with it.

Winter sun is the type of mugo that it is. They naturally turn yellow at the tips, but not brown. The brown is what worries me.IMG_3568.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting
First time I have seen that particular cultivar

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the confirmation though! Antifungal and time was my plan unless someone has a different idea.

hah Im glad to know that the yellow is normal, cause like I said....yikes

FYI most of us apply fungal sprays throughout the summer as a preventative.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems like regular yellowing, only it's browning cuz it was already yellow.

Ew?

I've seen it from overwatering and stressed needles cuz they were the only ones, a single years needles on a fresh pruned tree.

Looks more bungal than fungal.

Sorce

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I reckon its either frost damage , wind or sun burn :It doesnt look like a fungal blight so save your chemicals.
A lot of plants varieties with yellow leaves are prone to this type of damage if you suddenly take them from a sheltered nursery and expose them to the harsh realities of the outside world!

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I reckon its either frost damage , wind or sun burn :It doesnt look like a fungal blight so save your chemicals.
A lot of plants varieties with yellow leaves are prone to this type of damage if you suddenly take them from a sheltered nursery and expose them to the harsh realities of the outside world!
It has been insanely windy and before the new bench placement, those needles that are turning brown had been subject to wind above the railing on our balcony. Might be it.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am betting too much sun. These yellow cultivars tend to be a little tender in full sun. At least it is true for p. contorta 'Chief Joseph' and p. strobus 'Louis'. Even p. thunbergii 'Ogon' can burn like this in late summer, though it wasn't as touchy.
I think they/your-mugo will do well in partial to full shade but will be greener.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've grown a lot of plants over the past 15 years. When the tips went brown, it usually was due to over feeding; salt stress. The pattern usually shows the freshest tips burning first, then proceeding down the plant.

If that wasn't the issue, it was a sudden rise in temperature combined with a rapid decline in humidity. Mountain pines like mugo however, should be able to deal with that. I've hiked the alps, and it can be foggy and freezing at 07:00 and a cracker dry 25C at 11:00, then 10 degrees C and rain at 12:00. If that's their native habitat, I don't suspect them to be bothered a lot by strong winds and blazing sun.

If I couldn't find out if it was one of the above points, it usually came down to my watering habit.

It might be wise to review all three, to see if there's something out of the ordinary.

Top Bottom