Winter watering

Music4cash

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do I still need to water when the soil is frozen? Everything looks quite dry right now but only because the water is frozen. I can tell by the weight that there's a lot of water in the soil.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Do keep an eye on your trees in winter storage. Check at least weekly. I usually don't have to water more than once a month for trees in my well house. Frozen, they will stay moist. But a few warm days can change things. Just keep checking.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do I still need to water when the soil is frozen? Everything looks quite dry right now but only because the water is frozen. I can tell by the weight that there's a lot of water in the soil.
I you have them outside under mulch, it's probably not necessary to water, but you should have watered the trees well before mulching them in. Also necessary to make sure the top three inches of mulch remains moist every few weeks.

If you have the trees inside a shelter, yes is it absolutely necessary to water them, but not when the soil if frozen (can't water a block of ice). Even so, soil will dry out over time in a shelter, because there is no precipitation to keep things moist. Should also note that dry soil in below freezing weather is a very bad thing, as the water acts as additional insulation for roots against cold.

Top Bottom