Winter? What Winter?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So far, so good, in my Winter garden. Everything is setting bud but still look to be at least a few weeks or more before they swell and open. I'm trying @markyscott method of winter spraying, got the dormant oil on last weekend while it was warmer. If all goes to plan I'll be spraying the fungicide here in about 4 weeks to hit everything right before bud break. I'm hoping this will give me a leg up on all of the black leaf spot I dealt with last year.

Thiophanate-methyl is also effective on black spot. So you might consider putting down Bonide Infuse as a systematic if this has been a problem for you. Also consider environmental factors. Black spot spore require water - they have to be wet for at least 7 hours before they germinate. So try and make sure you have good air circulation around the plants and make sure they are not shaded such that they stay wet all the time.

S

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Still don't understand why the USA is sill using units of measurements that date back to the times they were colonies in the 17th century. :rolleyes:

When I post about the weather, I use both Celsius degrees, and Farenheit for those who got stuck in the past. To me it's a matter of correctness, but apparently the people in the USA are happy to live in the past, and don't care a fig about the rest of the world.

So simple : 0°C is when water freezes, 100°C is when it boils. All temperatures are in the decimal system.

But I understand why so many people in the US are climate-change deniers: how can people who want to get stuck in the 17th century understand what's obvious?

Make temperatures great again! :D
Why are you so hung up on making 0 to 100 scale for freezing to boiling for water? What about other substances? Numbers and scales are all arbitrary. One is not better than others. Why don't you guys solve your economic problems before attempting to solve anything else.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Better be careful... major damage can come to buds when relatively deep cold follows the bud development that occurs when growth conditions are good after the required dormancy period has been satisfied. Blossoms are the first to go, especially cherries.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Have
Better be careful... major damage can come to buds when relatively deep cold follows the bud development that occurs when growth conditions are good after the required dormancy period has been satisfied. Blossoms are the first to go, especially cherries.
Have you noticed how most of those really ugly storms get to Chicago and take a hard right? They travel along the Indiana and Ohio-Michigan border and dump on you guys, but leave us nice Michiganians clean and dry. God likes us. What are you people doing down there to deserve that kind of treatment?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Have

Have you noticed how most of those really ugly storms get to Chicago and take a hard right? They travel along the Indiana and Ohio-Michigan border and dump on you guys, but leave us nice Michiganians clean and dry. God likes us. What are you people doing down there to deserve that kind of treatment?
Perhaps nature thinks you guys already suffer enough?
BTW I used to work in Midland

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still don't understand why the USA is sill using units of measurements that date back to the times they were colonies in the 17th century. :rolleyes:

When I post about the weather, I use both Celsius degrees, and Farenheit for those who got stuck in the past. To me it's a matter of correctness, but apparently the people in the USA are happy to live in the past, and don't care a fig about the rest of the world.

So simple : 0°C is when water freezes, 100°C is when it boils. All temperatures are in the decimal system.

But I understand why so many people in the US are climate-change deniers: how can people who want to get stuck in the 17th century understand what's obvious?

Make temperatures great again! :D
Well, you really should be using an absolute temperature scale, not the "old-fashioned" Celsius scale (we called it centigrade back in my chemistry curriculum). Let's measure temperature in Kelvins (not degrees Kelvin, that is incorrect). So thermodynamic zero is zero Kelvin. It was about 280 Kelvin here this morning, and we're hoping for 290 Kelvin this afternoon. I boiled some water this morning at about 312 Kelvin.

Hey, isn't France supposed to be all multi-cultural and all? So why aren't you respecting the temperature scales of other cultures? That is bad PC-ness, you know.

Good job working in mention of the global warming hoax. You get some extra credit for that.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well, you really should be using an absolute temperature scale, not the "old-fashioned" Celsius scale (we called it centigrade back in my chemistry curriculum). Let's measure temperature in Kelvins (not degrees Kelvin, that is incorrect). So thermodynamic zero is zero Kelvin. It was about 280 Kelvin here this morning, and we're hoping for 290 Kelvin this afternoon. I boiled some water this morning at about 312 Kelvin.

Hey, isn't France supposed to be all multi-cultural and all? So why aren't you respecting the temperature scales of other cultures? That is bad PC-ness, you know.

Good job working in mention of the global warming hoax. You get some extra credit for that.
We call it centigrade too in my field.
Lol!

Reaction score
We call it centigrade too in my field.
Lol!
Centigrade is the old name. It has been changed to Celsius, which is now the accepted one, after the name of person who created the metric.

It was called centigrade because there is 100 degrees between freezing and boiling temperatures.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Centigrade is the old name. It has been changed to Celsius, which is now the accepted one, after the name of person who created the metric.

It was called centigrade because there is 100 degrees between freezing and boiling temperatures.
Yeah, I'm aware....just always wondered why certain fields do use the old name instead....?
Not a big deal either way.

Back to shoveling snow....

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, I have a question. I am reading that it's ok for hardy trees to your area to freeze in their pots over winter, but they also can't go dry.

My trees have frozen but the bottom of the soil is dry...

Should I water the trees thoroughly? Should I slip the tree out of the pot and just water the bottom since the frozen top part of the tree has moisture, just frozen? I have them somewhat insulated in the shed now, surrounded by leaves then packed into two layers of coconut coir baskets.

Thoughts?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, I have a question. I am reading that it's ok for hardy trees to your area to freeze in their pots over winter, but they also can't go dry.

My trees have frozen but the bottom of the soil is dry...

Should I water the trees thoroughly? Should I slip the tree out of the pot and just water the bottom since the frozen top part of the tree has moisture, just frozen? I have them somewhat insulated in the shed now, surrounded by leaves then packed into two layers of coconut coir baskets.

Thoughts?
Don't water frozen root balls... it's better to place snow on top of the frozen soil and/or bury the pot in wood chip mulch and water that instead. Trees in soil frozen more for a day or two should be placed out of the sun and wind to reduce the chances of the twigs desiccating.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What can be used in place of snow? Ice cubes? Crushed ice? Nothing?

Trees are in shed out of sun and wind so I got that right lol

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What can be used in place of snow? Ice cubes? Crushed ice? Nothing?

Trees are in shed out of sun and wind so I got that right lol
When was the last time you watered? How long has the soil been frozen? You probably don't need to water more then once or twice a month unless the temperature inside the shed warms up considerably during the day

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When was the last time you watered?

Checked them about 3 or 4 days ago when the weather was in high 30s/low 40s. They werent completely dry but i watered them then. I dont think i watered them enough at the time to fully waterlog the root ball though because of how dry the soil at bottom of pot was today. It wasnt frozen like the top 2 or 3 inches of soil.

That had been the first time in a good 2 or 3 three weeks i watered

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Checked them about 3 or 4 days ago when the weather was in high 30s/low 40s. They werent completely dry but i watered them then. I dont think i watered them enough at the time to fully waterlog the root ball though because of how dry the soil at bottom of pot was today. It wasnt frozen like the top 2 or 3 inches of soil.

That had been the first time in a good 2 or 3 three weeks i watered
Check weekly, water when not frozen or place snow on frozen soil when available until spring...

Top Bottom