Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What's funny is someone will say "It was 21 below at my house"
And someone else will say " I had 25 below"
Like it's a contest.
It's all cold.
My cousin lives in Juneau Alaska,he says its warmer there.
Their lowest recorded temp. is only 22 below.
It was 37 below here 4 years ago.
I don't even look out the window when it's that cold.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm actually glad we're finally getting a little slice of winter cold down south. Looking past today's tropical downpours and tornado watches, the next ten days are down right seasonal with most nights at or below freezing, which is just what my trees need in January. I just hope we stay "seasonal" for another 4-6 weeks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@M. Frary
It IS a contest. LOL
Coldest I ever experienced was in 1980-1 or 1981-1982 winter, I forget which year. Had to travel for work, sort out a problem at a paper mill in Rhinelander, Wisconsin.

Real temperature that night reached -44 F (that's -42 C for the rest of the world) the wind chill was at least 20 degrees colder. The team leader decided it was a good time to go bar hopping that night. It was positively dangerous to take a deep breath. Searing pain as you inhaled. I was terrified that the rental car would not start and leave us stranded out in the woods, outside Rhinelander. But I survived.

Curious, that around - 40 F the numbers for centigrade become about the same - 40 C.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@M. Frary
It IS a contest. LOL
Coldest I ever experienced was in 1980-1 or 1981-1982 winter, I forget which year. Had to travel for work, sort out a problem at a paper mill in Rhinelander, Wisconsin.

Real temperature that night reached -44 F (that's -42 C for the rest of the world) the wind chill was at least 20 degrees colder. The team leader decided it was a good time to go bar hopping that night. It was positively dangerous to take a deep breath. Searing pain as you inhaled. I was terrified that the rental car would not start and leave us stranded out in the woods, outside Rhinelander. But I survived.

Curious, that around - 40 F the numbers for centigrade become about the same - 40 C.
That's cold.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Winter is arriving today. Forecast is 1-2 feet of snow (and possibly even more) by Monday morning with lots of drifting. Temps will be dropping to near 0 F tomorrow
night and staying near that level on Monday.
You guys actually get more snow than we do here.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You guys actually get more snow than we do here.
Rochester averages right around 100 inches. Buffalo slightly less, Syracuse about 120 inches. Then there are the "snowbelt" areas not too far away (south of Buffalo,
east side of Lake Ontario such as Oswego) that average quite a bit more.

Most of our snow falls in dribs and drabs, an inch here, three inches there. 1-2 inches a day for 30+ days adds up. The truly big storms like this weekend are not all that common - maybe one or two
per winter.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Polar vortex arrived today. I can tell because the temperature dropped below 50. Going to be a cold one tonight! But not below freezing - that would be ridiculous.

All the tridents are moving. Cedar elms are hunkered down, as are the Japanese maples.

S

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
We have a week coming with the lows in the low 30's . It's been fairly warm up until now. I have a parsley hawthorn that has green leaves, orange leaves, yellow leaves, brown leaves and tiny, new leaves. It's confused. :confused:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
What's funny is someone will say "It was 21 below at my house"
And someone else will say " I had 25 below"
Like it's a contest.
It's all cold.
My cousin lives in Juneau Alaska,he says its warmer there.
Their lowest recorded temp. is only 22 below.
It was 37 below here 4 years ago.
I think anything below 70 degrees is cold, so if it's 20 or 20 below, it all sucks. I really need to move........

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@M. Frary
It IS a contest. LOL

I don't remember the temps, but I remember the winter of 1982. We got 20" of snow on a Saturday night. I got stuck at my future in-laws house for three days. Old German dairy farmers, that watched the news 24 hours a day. Worst weekend of my life.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A temperature reading ought never to have a minus sign in front of it......................that's just WRONG!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Houston welcomes you! We have been relatively warm this year.
I've been working on my husband to transfer to a friendlier climate, after this winter, I may be making some headway!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going to be a cold one tonight! But not below freezing - that would be ridiculous.
Why dont you just get out of here and stop posting in this thread. :( ;)

Here we had a -7 night (Still is, actually). -8 expected tonight. @AlainK that is in Celcius .

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why dont you just get out of here and stop posting in this thread. :( ;)

Here we had a -7 night (Still is, actually). -8 expected tonight. @AlainK that is in Celcius .
Polar Vortex, Lunar Eclipse, 0.5 Celsius this morning high expected of 5:eek:, no golf today! Almost freezing.
Off to the workshop to wire a hemlock, #18 #20 wire, cannot forget the bi-focals. Hope it warms up before i have to walk back to the house. There is even snow at higher elevations in the distance.
That's it heading for California next week, as soon as it stops raining there.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spot the prebonsai in this picture.

It’s snowing like hell and it’s -18 C (around 0 F). The high was -23 C yesterday. True mid-January Québec weather, love it.

IMG_20190120_113540.jpg

Top Bottom